Clutch pads - too smooth?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Clutch pads - too smooth?

Post by mr pibbs »

I took of the clutch on my se/05 the other day. There was plenty of pad still on there, but I was wondering how smooth i should let them be. They seem to be pretty smooth. Should I rough 'em up?
1993 Elite - The Mad Max
akskoot
Spree
Spree

Re: Clutch pads - too smooth?

Post by akskoot »

I noticed the same thing on mine. They looked too smooth so I did rough em up. I suppose they're slightly grabbier, but it could be in my head.
1985 Aero 50--'87 AF05 motor, ported and polished, Ruckus Vari, 1.5K torque spring, 1K clutch springs, drilled exhaust/airbox,#85 jet, Pirelli 3.0-10s= 45mph flat
http://www.myspace.com/the1120s Image
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

Pad surface should only be slightly rough when brand new. When it heat cycles, it's normal to have it very smooth. Clutch pads don't require a rough surface to hold onto the clutch bell. Smooth pad surface = more surface area to contact the clutch bell.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
mr pibbs
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mr pibbs »

Arnadanoob wrote:Pad surface should only be slightly rough when brand new. When it heat cycles, it's normal to have it very smooth. Clutch pads don't require a rough surface to hold onto the clutch bell. Smooth pad surface = more surface area to contact the clutch bell.
Makes sense.
1993 Elite - The Mad Max