Pull the head off and look or not?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

eclypse
Spree
Spree

Pull the head off and look or not?

Post by eclypse »

I've been trying to get my 88 Honda Elite LX up to speed.. well it gets to 35mph but it takes too long.

My Dad and i finally rebuilt my original elite thats been sittin in the garage for 20 years. Near the end of last summer we got the head back on. We got it runing again the begining of this summer. I finally took the scoot home and have been working on it to get it runing right ever since.

Originally 20 years ago the motor was taken apart cause the power was gone and it would'nt start. The splines on the crankshaft were gone. So my dad bought a new cranksaft and drive face. He could'nt get the piston back on as he didnt know how to get it on with the rings and he broke a ring trying. Ordered new rings and broke another one.

So anyways, when we did get the head back on i'm not sure if we did it correct. I dont know if we installed the rings with the lable side up. There was another 3rd ring with bends in it that we didnt use as i could not find any info on it nor know where it went. Dont know if we put the bigger ring on top or bottom.

My father was in a hurry and didnt want to clean the head or the piston. Telling me that its no big deal and that the piston rings will clean it and blow it out the exhaust pipe. I was lucky enough to get the new cylinder and head gasket on. Also dont know if i got the cylinder head gasket on the right way.. Dont remember which way we put it on.

Could my problem with getting up to speed be in the head or should i look at decarbing the muffler?

Oh and no i did not do a pressure check as i dont have anything to check with.

I've totally cleaned the carb and that helped with starting.. Its got a new blet and new rollers/guides. I also just changed out the clutch springs with new stock springs all around.
Last edited by eclypse on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My original Honda 88 Elite SA50 LX Needs lots of love!
2001 Honda Elite SR All Black runing great!
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Re: Pull the head off and look or not?

Post by eclypse »

Double post! lol
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

eclypse wrote:So anyways, when we did get the head back on i'm not sure if we did it correct. I dont know if we installed the rings with the lable side up. There was another 3rd ring with bends in it that we didnt use as i could not find any info on it nor know where it went. Dont know if we put the bigger ring on top or bottom.
Here's a link showing pics of the Elite ring, Fat is on top. The wavy spring goes on the bottom ring. There's some Spree ring info in the post you can ignore.
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... ing#p67354
Could my problem with getting up to speed be in the head or should i look at decarbing the muffler?

Oh and no i did not do a pressure check as i dont have anything to check with.
You have done quite a bit of work on the engine. Compression test would be handy since there's some question about the rings, but IMHO if its easier to rule out the muffler, go for it :)
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Thanks mouse.. So the expander ring goes behind the bottom ring right? So if i didnt add that, it would be a huge prob or no?

Yeah i guess i should use some draino to clean it out.. just gota wait till the next paycheck. If i have to take the head off, i'd rather do it soon so theres time left in the season to test it unlike last year as i had to wait for spring.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Speed is the only issue? Not power? 35 is about all I get out of my LX. I do suspect I need a belt and expect that should help as a worn belt is not going to ride as high in the pulley.

I've wondered about that little thin krinkled ring too. I've left it out of two rebuilds and scoots are running fine.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Yeah, i'm looking for that power that used to be there. I guess that extra ring is not really needed then.

The head probably just need to be decarbed good and the piston. I hope not honed.. hate to see what that would cost.

Hopefully cleaning the muffler will give me some power back.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

eclypse wrote:The head probably just need to be decarbed good and the piston. I hope not honed.. hate to see what that would cost.
If you're talking about taking the jug to a shop to be honed, you can buy a hone a whole lot cheaper. The shop will have a minimum which exceeds the cost of the hone. Shop ebay. Most brake cylinder hones will expand out enough to do a small scooter engine. I recommend 240 grit stones, which most brake hones are.

If you're looking to gain speed and have had more speed in the past, I suggest checking the belt, unless you can definitely tell the motor is not getting the revs.
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Lunytune wrote:
eclypse wrote:The head probably just need to be decarbed good and the piston. I hope not honed.. hate to see what that would cost.
If you're talking about taking the jug to a shop to be honed, you can buy a hone a whole lot cheaper. The shop will have a minimum which exceeds the cost of the hone. Shop ebay. Most brake cylinder hones will expand out enough to do a small scooter engine. I recommend 240 grit stones, which most brake hones are.

If you're looking to gain speed and have had more speed in the past, I suggest checking the belt, unless you can definitely tell the motor is not getting the revs.
Thanks for the info.. It has a brand new belt.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

A few reasons for pulling it back down, you can double check the ring situation, clean the piston & head, and also make sure you got piston back on in right direction, plus to putting on a new head gasket and make sure it is right. Then it might be good to look at cleaning the exhaust. One fellow recently found a muddobber's nest in his exhaust. :? Double check your airbox too, for mice/muddobbers nests.

I admire you for wanting to rebuild the scooter you had years ago. I wish I had the old bicycle I had when I was a kid... many decades ago. Plus a few cars I've had through the years. :cry: