Rear Transmission Cover Problems

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Rear Transmission Cover Problems

Post by paulpauly7 »

in your picture above with all the gears in give the gear thats giving problems a few light taps to see if it helps seat it
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

paulpauly7 wrote:in your picture above with all the gears in give the gear thats giving problems a few light taps to see if it helps seat it
Doing this will be like hitting on the inner race. Use the socket method.
Try using a seal puller to remove the seal first.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Don't have a seal puller. Anything else I can do to get that seal out and reuse it? Looks like the bearing might be about 1/4 of an inch out. Couple taps with a socket should get it to seat if I can get that seal out first
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

You don't have to take the seal out. Just tap it and see if it moves. If it does the sound will change when fully seated. It will have a more solid feel when you hit it. If you really want to take the seal out I just use a flat head and pry it out. Only down side is you take a chance on damaging it. If you can find or make something "L" shaped that you can put in there and pull strait out instead of prying it would be a lot safer. But honestly I wouldn't mess with it, just grab a socket and a hammer and whack it a few times and see if it moves. You won't hurt it...
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Well the problem is the seal is in front of the bearing. So in order to tap the bearing in with a socket id have to get the crank seal out or tap the seal in order to hopefully tap the bearing in. OR I could use a smaller socket but I'd have to tap on the inner race of the bearing. The bearing does seen like a different bearing though so that might not be as much of a problem.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

bfowler wrote:
LoveMyHonda wrote:Take out one washer at a time and try to re tighten it will let you know where it's hung up at.
I don't think it has anything to do with the counter shaft. I took it out and tried to install the cover with only the final shaft in and it won't go. Just can't figure out what's wrong with the final shaft.
sometimes the aftermarket counter shafts are slightly larger than stock.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Trafficjamz wrote:
bfowler wrote:
LoveMyHonda wrote:Take out one washer at a time and try to re tighten it will let you know where it's hung up at.
I don't think it has anything to do with the counter shaft. I took it out and tried to install the cover with only the final shaft in and it won't go. Just can't figure out what's wrong with the final shaft.
sometimes the aftermarket counter shafts are slightly larger than stock.
Yea it seems a little bigger. But I can install the cover if I take out the final shaft and only put the counter shaft in
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

Are u sure about the seal? The picture shows 17 going in from the inside and the seal going in from the outside? Take the cover off, lay outer face on ground and bearing should be right there...
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Not too sure why the picture shows it like that. Maybe so you can see where the bearing goes. But the bearing is behind the seal. If I push from the other side it will push the bearing out of the case. Also couldn't fit a socket on that side since it's only a small hole because the bearing doesn't fit on that side.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

That seal pops right out with a screw driver, but why would you want to remove the seal? And why do you think the primary gear bearing is what's catching you up? #17 is your primary bearing. Local Honda has the primary seal and bearing in stock for less than 25$
If that is the bearing you're trying to get to seat further you can use all thread, 4 washers and 2 nuts. Put the all thread thru the hole, use washers on both sides, nuts on both ends and tighten together.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

If you said you can get the gear box on with out the final drive in place then the primary has no issue. And I would leave it alone. Did you replace your primary and counter or your secondary and final?
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

I can take pics of a few different shots and angles of a trans with after market gears pressed if it will help, just let me know what gear, angle, etc. it's got to be extremely frustrating I imagine.
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Hey thanks honda. I believe I replaced numbers 5 and 7. I think it's the bearing because I can install the cover without the final shaft in. The bearing isn't pressed all the way in causing the final shaft to stick out a little since it gets caught on the bearing. I can kind of see that the bearing is about 1/4 of an inch out. I like your idea of using the threads and nuts to press in the bearing. Just afraid that it will be using the inner race to press it in which would damage bearing. Also don't want to strip the threads. Think I should give that a try though, seems like it will work. Place the final shaft in and then the cover over. And then screw in the bolts so that they press the bearing in. That's what you meant right?
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Ah I just realized youre showing a schematic of the later models and you have an older model, that cover in the pic is of the single bearing style case and its what threw me off. There is no seal on either side of the bearing under the final drive shaft, the seal for the final shaft is on the case not the trans cover so theres no issue of removing a seal. Heat that cover up and tap that bearing down with a dead blow hammer and a socket like they said. Definitely do not try to press the bearing in further with the bolts. I was explaining how to do the bearing for the primary shaft. Ill see if I have an earlier model double bearing trans cover and check the deck to bearing height. Im not sure I have a double bearing cover tho as most mine are 99 up engines.
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

I have the newer engine. My elite is 00' so I have the single bearing as well. The bearing is in the actual case and it isn't pressed in all the way. Over the bearing is a seal. So I have to remove the seal, tap in the bearing, and then put the seal back in. Hope this makes sense. My problem is I don't want to have to order a new seal because then id have to wait for another week for it to come in. Unless I can figure out how to remove the seal without damaging it.