Tranny & Final Drive Fluid Change Frequencies

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Re: Tranny & Final Drive Fluid Change Frequencies

Post by Johnniespeed »

Does your city have a local Scooter club ? Mine does, we have organized rides and outings.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
stevemarx
Noob
Noob

Post by stevemarx »

Guys,

First, happy holidays to all!

I am back with a couple of questions, since I have finally made the time to perform some maintenance on our '86 Spree. Your help would be very much appreciated. Here goes:
1. The manual says '85 Spree's have 4 amp hour electrical systems and '86 models have 3 amp hour systems. We have an '86 (per the title) but the replacement battery is a 4 amp hour and not a 3. Should I be concerned? It did die after sitting for a while and I need to buy a trickle charger.
2. I cleaned the oil strainer (actually not dirty at all) and now have to bleed the oil lines. I am somewhat competent and don't want to mess it up. Any tips beyond what's in the service manual? Is it really necessary to bleed the lines?
3. Final drive clarification - I see the circled drain plug (pic below) and can drain it. Do I have to turn the scooter on its side to refill the 3 ounces? Will it flow out as I pour it in if I don't put it on its side?

Thanks again. Really appreciate all the help.

Steve
DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Post by DirtyE »

I pulled my cover the other night and the oil that came out of there was disgusting. Mind you I have a 98 and its probably never been changed.
On other model scooters Ive used gasket maker. I was actually planning on using the same stuff for this gearbox as well. I forget the color RTV.
98 Elite
4 strokes are for cars
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The thickness of the gasket is calculated into the end-play of the various shafts. If you use goo, the cover will get too close to the gearcase and bind the countershaft. Honda and the aftermarket (Partzilla) still stock the gaskets for about $7. Cut paper if you must, but I recommend you don't use gasket-maker liquid.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

I agree with Wheelman the stock gasket is your best bet. With aftermarket gears sometimes the shims need to be changed for it to fit correctly.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.