Getting pretty irritated.....

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Re: Getting pretty irritated.....

Post by JustynCRX »

CHT gauge arrived today. Gonna go put it on and maybe take it out for a spin later.
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Post by SuprasNsprees »

JustynCRX wrote:CHT gauge arrived today. Gonna go put it on and maybe take it out for a spin later.

i was looking into these. do you actually remove the crush-washer,or stack it? i imagin having both would make it easier to index the plug
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit
JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Post by JustynCRX »

It says to remove the crush washer. Donno if it really makes a difference, but at this point I'm being VERY careful with this thing. I dont want to mess another thing up and have to buy a third BBK. LOL
JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Post by JustynCRX »

I noticed that when I take the choke off it revs way up and wont come back down. Like someone is holding the throttle at 1/4. both screws are at 1 3/4 turns. I'm gonna check the cable again when I go back out in a couple hours.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Justyn, counter-clockwise on the idle screw, if that don't work, the throttle cable is too tight. Loosen the cable adjustment just so there is no play (slack) in the throttle grip, idle should drop down by doing one of those, or both?
Also, be very careful with the temp. gauge wire, that copper ring has to seat on the head and the little "arm" that the wire is on has to fit between the fins on the head. Once you get it on and torque it down, it should be good to go just handle with care, it's really thin.
Glad to see you got the motor up and running.
:peace: Enjoy!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Post by JustynCRX »

yeah I just turned it a quarter turn and made everything okay. I have the wire on my CHT coming back out the hole in the heat shield. No good?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

JustynCRX wrote:yeah I just turned it a quarter turn and made everything okay. I have the wire on my CHT coming back out the hole in the heat shield. No good?
Yea, that's good. The only way I know of. Some use the head bolt to avoid dealing with it all together but I learned to be careful. On my second one now! :nervous:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Post by JustynCRX »

I was freaking out a little earlier because my temps were at 260-270 at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle until I read a little and found out that I can get up to 400 before I should really be freaking out. I was having trouble getting it to 300 but it is pretty d*** cold today. On top of that the snowing really limited my ride.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

JustynCRX wrote:I was freaking out a little earlier because my temps were at 260-270 at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle until I read a little and found out that I can get up to 400 before I should really be freaking out. I was having trouble getting it to 300 but it is pretty d*** cold today. On top of that the snowing really limited my ride.
Outside temp should have nothing to do with cylinder head temp.
You're fine, 325 to 350 should be normal temp. range riding. Higher than that at speed, jet up main one size at a time. Read plug. :happy:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth BonesSV:
I gotta disagree here BSV. The Ambient Temp affects CHT two ways:

A: The primitive CHG gauges we have don't correct for Ambient Temp. They tend to read warmer as the outside temps cool down. See Mousewheels' Scholarly Dissertation on this subject; written as only an Ee-Leck-Tronickal Engineering Stoont can unnerstand.

2: Colder air contains more O2 for given volume. The added oxygen makes for an effectively LEANER mixture. This also bumps up the operating CHT a little.

It's counter-intuitive to believe that the engine runs hotter when it's cold but the added temperature difference in the air from the fan doesn't compensate completely for the increased temp of leaner mixture plus the increased gauge error.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Post by JustynCRX »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Quoth BonesSV:
I gotta disagree here BSV. The Ambient Temp affects CHT two ways:

A: The primitive CHG gauges we have don't correct for Ambient Temp. They tend to read warmer as the outside temps cool down. See Mousewheels' Scholarly Dissertation on this subject; written as only an Ee-Leck-Tronickal Engineering Stoont can unnerstand.

2: Colder air contains more O2 for given volume. The added oxygen makes for an effectively LEANER mixture. This also bumps up the operating CHT a little.

It's counter-intuitive to believe that the engine runs hotter when it's cold but the added temperature difference in the air from the fan doesn't compensate completely for the increased temp of leaner mixture plus the increased gauge error.
See that's what I heard.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

JustynCRX wrote:I was freaking out a little earlier because my temps were at 260-270 at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle until I read a little and found out that I can get up to 400 before I should really be freaking out. I was having trouble getting it to 300 but it is pretty d*** cold today. On top of that the snowing really limited my ride.

Cold air will not make the CHT gauge read colder.

if you are having trouble reaching 300 you are jetted too rich.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Post by JustynCRX »

I took it out for a 20 minute ride and barely passed 300 a couple times
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

did it go to 300 at WOT or was it while you were decelerating?
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Post by JustynCRX »

Up hill at a little over half throttle