Stumped- I need advice-too lean?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

EdinMinnesota
Noob
Noob

Stumped- I need advice-too lean?

Post by EdinMinnesota »

Haven't used it for a while and I just can't figure this thing out :-)) 87 spree was running great-then got to where it would only idle. Cracking the throttle would kill it. I broke the autostart (choke??) so bought a new one. It will start and rev up for about 3 seconds and then dies--just like it is out of gas. Let it sit for a few seconds and it will repeat that. New gas is pumping to the carb - I have cleaned the carb and it looks great. Air filter box has foam filter in it-air filter box is solid and attached to carb. I've worked on engines for 40 years but can't figure this one out. Sometimes I can get it to sit there and idle, but as soon as I crack the throttle, it kills.
Would appreciate any advice--thanks
Ed
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Odd. Check these:
1) Is the foam filter in good condition (not crusted solid.)
2) Where is the needle valve set on the carb slide? I believe stock is one notch up from the bottom.
3) How's the plug and wire?
EdinMinnesota
Noob
Noob

still trying

Post by EdinMinnesota »

All seems to be in good shape. Really seems to run a few seconds and then quits-seems like it is running out of gas. I am going to go back and recheck the float height. any other ideas appreciated.
Ed
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Need advice

Post by Jerry »

Main jet is dirty. Idle circuit is clean. Choke allows to start and then kills gas flow.
Read and precisely follow the carb cleaning instructions. It will run fine if you do. Been over this a hundred times.
Read the post titled Can you help? I just responded today.
Scoot safely