1985 Honda Spree Help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SolidSt8
Noob
Noob

1985 Honda Spree Help

Post by SolidSt8 »

I have a question that I hope someone can answer cause its got me going crazy.

Heres what I got, my buddy owns a 1985 Honda Spree (NQ50). The problem we are having is randomly when hes driving (anywhere between 5-120 minutes) the engine will start to bog down bringing the Spree from 30 MPH all the way down to around 15 MPH where the engine dies all together then. He can either be going full throttle or letting off the gas and it will happen, its like it doesn't matter what he has the throttle held it.

Once it dies out and we pull over, I shoot Starting Fluid in it, the Spree will start up right away and run just fine for another 5-120 minutes where it will again start bogging down and die out...

This all sounded like a fuel delivery problem to me, so I checked the vacuum fuel pump for leaks, we replaced the fuel line, we cleaned the carb out, we installed a see through fuel filter to make sure it has constant fuel. Nothing is bad to my knowledge.

I also want to add that, one time when his Spree was bogging I got behind him on my Spree and started to push him with my foot to keep him above 15 MPH, and see if eventually it would start running right again, but it keeps bogging until it dies completely and then restarts with the starting fluid. And after the starting fluid it will run perfectly fine for another 5-120 minutes.

Can someone please maybe give me an idea of what to look for to start fixing this problem?

If you need pictures or more info just ask and I will gladly post them ASAP.

Thanks for reading my novel.
Wheelman-111

Re: 1985 Honda Spree Help

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It doesn't sound like a fuel delivery problem to me at all.

If the plug doesn't betray an extremely lean condition (It would be white or pockmarked with bits of shrapnel...) then it sounds like the type of failure associated with electrical parts failing. They run OK cold, but as the heat from the engine sinks in to some solid-state components, they stop functioning. Mousewheels is our Electronic Dude to e'splain why.

Engine control modules, coils, crank sensors can all do this before they fail completely. One way to test is with a hair dryer or heat gun. Fire up cold - presuming you still can - and aim the gun at the suspect. If it stops running, we have our culprit.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
SolidSt8
Noob
Noob

Post by SolidSt8 »

Thank you very very very much for the help Wheelman.

Now this all brings up a new question for me... Sorry

Where do I find some of these electronic parts like the engine control module, coil, and crank sensor?

Thanks in advance!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Honda dealers can still get a lot of this stuff. Coils are coils. Some have posted that the ECMs - both stock and aftermarket - are interchangeable with other models. Many say to avoid the aftermarket stuff.

Go to Mr.Cycles.com and follow the Honda path to your 1985 NQ50. Write down the part numbers/prices and call Honda Parts Department nearest you. Chances are they can get 'em, and no shipping charges.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
SolidSt8
Noob
Noob

Post by SolidSt8 »

Thanks Wheelman!

Once I find out what the problem is I can post here what I did, maybe it could help someone in the future?

Thanks again Wheelman
jguy
BMX
BMX

Post by jguy »

I heard a rumor that using starter fluid on a 2 stroke is risky. I guess it is because your running without any lube for a few seconds. That's not long, but at 6,000 RPM that's a 100 cycles a second.

Any truth to this?
'86 Spree
'80 Motobecane 50V
Just Ride
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

jguy wrote:I heard a rumor that using starter fluid on a 2 stroke is risky. I guess it is because your running without any lube for a few seconds. That's not long, but at 6,000 RPM that's a 100 cycles a second.

Any truth to this?

well ya but there is a little lube in the fuel that is still in the engine. and you are not running directly on starting fluid for any length of time. i dont think it is harming anything
86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I do not recommend ether in a 2 stroke for a few reasons.
1. An old man who has been playing with small engines longer than many of us have lived told me if it backfires the reeds will blow out of the cage.
2. If it wont run on premix in a squirt bottle, you probably shouldn't be running it.
3. Ether is expensive.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:I do not recommend ether in a 2 stroke for a few reasons.
1. An old man who has been playing with small engines longer than many of us have lived told me if it backfires the reeds will blow out of the cage.
2. If it wont run on premix in a squirt bottle, you probably shouldn't be running it.
3. Ether is expensive.
1. Don't argue with an ole sage. I appreciate a youngster tipping his hat to an old geezer.
2. Fully agree. These engines were designed for gasoline, not ether. It's just that most of us don't have a squirt bottle handy. :? Maybe we should be better prepared.
3. Money is not an issue to keep my scoots going. Biker Babe sees to that. She's gungho on scoots.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes