Just got my moped back and its weak

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jonathan
Noob
Noob

Just got my moped back and its weak

Post by Jonathan »

I just got my 84 honda spree back from getting fixed ( Let my friend drive it and he crashed it), and it feels really weak. It only goes 22 on flat and doesnt even make it up hills. Cant someone please tell me what i can do to fix it or whats the problem? Thanks
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Weak

Post by Jerry »

How about some background? It ran fine before the crash? What was replaced as a result of the crash? How long has it been sitting for repairs? Did a dealer to the repairs or just someone you know? Was ANY engine part replaced? Let us know so we can get to the source of the problem.
Scoot safely
Jonathan
Noob
Noob

Post by Jonathan »

Yeah, it ran awesome before the crash, but when he crashed it, it killed the front rim and bent the whole front end. So I bot a new rim and forks from D richards and had BVH fix it. It has been sitting since july 20, and I just got it back yesterday. They didnt mess with the engine really except clean the carb to get it started again.
frog357
BMX
BMX

Post by frog357 »

Might be front forks overtightened. It makes a big big difference if your front wheel can spin freely or if its hard to spin.
FreddyT
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

yea make sure that front rim can spin freely. Lube it or Loose it!
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

Make sure the brakes are adjusted properly. Overtightening will cause a definite slowdown. Make sure the bearings are good also. If they cleaned the carb after sitting only a month or so, to get it started, that may be a place to check also.
Scoot safely
Jonathan
Noob
Noob

Post by Jonathan »

Thanks guys, but thats not it the wheel spins freely. Anything else you guys can think of?
frog357
BMX
BMX

Post by frog357 »

Check for air leaks in the air filter box and lid and near the carb. If the bike was hit hard enough, it could have jarred something loose. An air leak will easily cause 5mph+ to disappear.
FreddyT
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

I still find it strange that the carb had to be cleaned after sitting only a month or two. Fuel / carb system?
Scoot safely
Jonathan
Noob
Noob

Post by Jonathan »

Yes I fixed it :D !! Okay im gunna be frank with you guys, I had know idea what I was doing I took off the plastics on the side and cleaned the air filter then tightened anything that looked loose :lol: and started her up and it took off. Now it goes easy 27mph on flat from a struggling 20 on flat before. Thanks for all of your help frog, jerry and jim!
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

Thats awsome! I'm glad to hear you got it running with help from the guys on the forum. I perosnally didnt do anything to help but thank you for thanking me :?:
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide