what is that sqeal sound??

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

toofast34
Noob
Noob

what is that sqeal sound??

Post by toofast34 »

My nq50 runs good and strong,however there is this sqeal sound coming from the flywheel side of the engine.The sqeal sound changes as the RPM's change when idling it will almost go away but then I accelerate and she starts to sqeal.Is this the main bearings telling me something.I took the flywheel off and sprayed the stator with contact cleaner and the noise went away for a day but is back again.any clue??
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Re: what is that sqeal sound??

Post by SpyderMike »

did you clean the fan? sometimes fans make a wierd noise too
toofast34
Noob
Noob

Post by toofast34 »

fan is clean.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Squeal from that area is usually a belt starting to go.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
toofast34
Noob
Noob

Post by toofast34 »

I thought it was the belt at first,but the sqeal comes from the otherside of the engine not the belt side.I even took out my stethescope to have a listen and the noise is coming from the flywheel side.I measured the width of the belt and it is still within spec.help.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

toofast34 wrote:I thought it was the belt at first,but the sqeal comes from the otherside of the engine not the belt side.I even took out my stethescope to have a listen and the noise is coming from the flywheel side.I measured the width of the belt and it is still within spec.help.
Then you have something rubbing under the shroud or the flywheel. Taking it apart is the only way to find it. Whatever is rubbing will leave marks.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
toofast34
Noob
Noob

Post by toofast34 »

this sqeal sound comes and goes.It's weird it sounds like a zinging sound like when you have interference on your car radio.The pitch of the zing changes when I rev her up.When I sit at a light long enough the sound will go away,but soon as I blip the throttle she is back to making this high pitch zinging sound.It only makes this noise when she warms up.could it be a leaking base gasket?I'm confused please help.
Wheelman-111

Squealing Spree

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Perhaps a family of field mice has taken up residence in your alternator? The Bear gave you good advice if you're sure the noise is from that side.

My Aero had a zingy ringy sound when its first belt was worn down to 14mm. It's the same timbre as the steel drive face.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

Bear45-70 wrote:
toofast34 wrote:I thought it was the belt at first,but the sqeal comes from the otherside of the engine not the belt side.I even took out my stethescope to have a listen and the noise is coming from the flywheel side.I measured the width of the belt and it is still within spec.help.
Then you have something rubbing under the shroud or the flywheel. Taking it apart is the only way to find it. Whatever is rubbing will leave marks.
i agree w/ that :mrgreen:
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Perhaps a family of field mice has taken up residence in your alternator?
We need to call in Mousewheels for this one. He's experienced with mice in the scoot. :?

I would suggest pulling one cover or shroud at a time. When the squeal goes away, you've found the culprit. Geesh, I hope you get to it before going all the way to the bearings.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
toofast34
Noob
Noob

Post by toofast34 »

it is definetly NOT mice.I did however put a good used ststor and pulsar on that I picked up from Badthree.however the noise didn't start till after a few days later.like I said it is not down on power.Just this stupid sqeal thats driving me bonkers.I took the shroud off and the noise is still there.As the machine was running and making this stupid noise I sprayed some contact cleaner in behind the flywheel and instantly the noise went away ,but minutes later it returned.HELP
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

I took the shroud off and the noise is still there.As the machine was running and making this stupid noise I sprayed some contact cleaner in behind the flywheel and instantly the noise went away ,but minutes later it returned.HELP
mousewheels: <squeak> since you replaced the stator, might as well pull the flywheel again and have a look in there for contact. I've done a few stator only changes w/o problems. But know at least one Honda scooter manual says to replace the stator and flywheel as a set. Anyone been bit by not replacing as a pair?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It's frighteningly easy to misalign the little half-moon sliver of metal known as the Woodruff Key. Even easier to fail to notice its absence from the shaft. You may find its ground-up remains adhering to the rare earth magnets of the flywheel.

Either way, the flywheel goes wonky on the shaft, causing all kinds of contact problems. Pop it off and check. I'm 83.2% sure you will find your squeak source.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
toofast34
Noob
Noob

Post by toofast34 »

83.3% sure...that's some odds.I will pop the flywheel off and check it out.She sure ran great today minus the sqeal sound.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

83.3% sure...that's some odds.
His SD is questionable. I happen to know his study group included a Briggs and Stratton lawnmower. :mrgreen:
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes