1986 Honda Spree electrical problem

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

raceluigi
Noob
Noob

1986 Honda Spree electrical problem

Post by raceluigi »

Hi i have a 1986 Honda spree and currently the lights/blinkers don't work. the horn works and the light for the oil work but the lights on the head don't light up or the actual lights. The person i bought it from said the battery would die fast. The horn works and the engine is great. we just bought a new battery. what can be causing this problem and how do we fix it?
[X] Make a check box =)
[ ] Have 50 posts
[ ] Have 100 posts
~oreos, spree, maplestory,fun, friends, family & god~
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: 1986 Honda Spree electrical problem

Post by mousewheels »

Hi, welcome!

There are a lot of folks with electrical experience. Below is what I would check. Other's will offer suggestions too. Also, the Spree service manual is present for download at this site and has electrical diagrams as well as trouble shooting information.
  1. Battery goes dead fast. If there are no custom alterations to the bike, the voltage regulator is the only component tied to the battery, when the ignition is off. Run the resistance checks in the service manual.
  2. Turn signals don't flash usually because of a weak battery or bulb not lighting (bad bulb, or electrical open - bad ground, open wire, bad socket... etc)
  3. Does your electric start work? If not another sign of a weak battery even though you got a new one. If weak, look to the regulator and stator coil
  4. For the headlight, and you have a multimeter - check the AC voltage across the bulb should be around 12v, the bulb itsellf and last the switch (Hi/Low beam). With your other electrical problems, check the voltage first, could be a bad stator coil.
raceluigi
Noob
Noob

Post by raceluigi »

update:
the back light is working along with the blinkers in the back. the blinkers dont actually blink but stay a solid light when turned on. the brake light doesnt increase its output when u brake but it will turn on.... is that normal?
the front light still doesnt work and we tested the lamp and the lamp is working correctly so i have no idea what the problem is with the front light haha.....
[X] Make a check box =)
[ ] Have 50 posts
[ ] Have 100 posts
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

raceluigi wrote:update:
the back light is working along with the blinkers in the back. the blinkers dont actually blink but stay a solid light when turned on. the brake light doesnt increase its output when u brake but it will turn on.... is that normal?
the front light still doesnt work and we tested the lamp and the lamp is working correctly so i have no idea what the problem is with the front light haha.....
Some nitwit got into the wiring and plugged the wires into the wrong places, probably under the front plastics. You need to pull the plastics, unplug everything and sit down with a schematic and get everything plugged into where it belongs. FYI, the tail light is on if the ignition switch is on. The brightness should at least double when the brakes are applied and the brake light comes on.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
raceluigi
Noob
Noob

Post by raceluigi »

thx.. ill keep ya updated if i can get.... this is my first scooter and its a nightmare!!! i just keep hoping i dont have to buy much more to fix it
[X] Make a check box =)
[ ] Have 50 posts
[ ] Have 100 posts