Bikes stored for years, what should I do before starting it?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jhoodwink
Noob
Noob

Bikes stored for years, what should I do before starting it?

Post by Jhoodwink »

Hello,

I'm new to the Honda Spree forums, and just have a few questions about what I should do before starting a Spree that has been stored for years. I just bought this 1985 Spree for $40.00 its looks to be in Great condition with only a 1078 miles. Everything looks pretty good, with the exception it has no carburetor and needs a new battery. The owner told me the bike has been sitting for several years, so I'm a little cautious about what I should do before starting it. I'm buying a carburetor off ebay from a guy that has sold many of them and has a 100% feedback rating.

Now I'm just wondering what all should I do to this spree. It is full of 2 stroke oil, this should definetly be drained I take it? Also I noticed Jerry said 2-stroke Snowmobile oil is good. Is that something I could get at wal-mart? Is there anything I should look for on the oil? Like it saying 2 stroke injector oil specifically? Or just 2 stroke oil. I'm trying to get this on the road as cheaply as possible and want to stay away from the dealer.

I plan on replacing the spark plug, air filter, battery, and 2 stroke oil. Is there anything else I should watch out for before starting this up? Possibly putting small amount of oil in the cylinder for startup protection? Any information would great!

I'm really excited to find this website and talking with other Spree owners!

Thanks In Advance,

James
Jhoodwink@stny.rr.com
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Stored Spree

Post by Jerry »

First of all, congratulations on your entry into the world of motor scooters.

If it has been stored for years, the first thing to do is to drain ALL fluids and clean the tanks and lines. Gas and oil in addition to the transmission.
Replace the oil lines and fuel lines with 'surgical tubing' type hoses. Any hardware store should be able to help you out on that one.

Do a compression check. It has to be around 100 or you're just going to get a headache trying to figure out why it won't start.

You really have to go to the dealer for the air filter. Don't try to cobble something up and hope it works. They aren't much as far as expense but they are critical for correct starting and running.

When you get the carb, THOROUGHLY clean it as per the instructions in the FAQ. Feedback ratings aren't going to tell you if the carb is clean or not.

Snowmobile oil is available at WalMart (at least here in Michigan). Or any of the snow machine dealers. I'm not brand sensitive (Arctic cat, Yahama etc) but the snowmobile blend is great for retaining the viscosity in all temperatures. DON'T try any oil for outboard engines or lawn mowers. They are blended to disperse in gasoline. Not injection systems.

Keep us informed on how you're coming along with getting it running. There is someone out here to answer any questions you may come up with.
Scoot safely
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Fogging the cylinder, or putting in a tablespoon of oil and turning it by hand won't hurt either. I always do this on stored engines.