WILL IT WORK?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

vette76
CB900F
CB900F

WILL IT WORK?

Post by vette76 »

I NEED MORE HELP.
I JUST GOT ANOTHER 87 SPREE AND THIS DOES NOT HAVE AN AIR CLEANER OR HALF THE AIR BOX FOR THAT MATTER.IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN USE A VALVE COVER BREATHER OFF AN OLD CHEVY FOR AN AIR FILTER? OR WILL THIS AFFECT ITS RUNNING CONDITION TOO? THANKZ!
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Dude, turn your caps lock off. No need to shout.

I've been wanting to try the Chevy breather thing. You have two Sprees? Try it on the one that runs and see how it works. If it does, use it on the other. The critical thing on the intake is the length of the rubber tube to the carb. Do you have that part? If not you could probably make something up with coolant hose.

Let us know what you find out, and how it impacts idle, wide open throttle, and part throttle response.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Or you could buy a filter box/rear fender on Ebay.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

Just buy what parts are missing from drichardson@core.com or from eBay. When you complete it, it will run. You're going to spend a fortune to see that 'rigging' just won't work.
Scoot safely
BluPhire
Elite
Elite

Post by BluPhire »

I have done the same thing, only with a tiny performance air breather from Auto Zone, and it didn't work worth S.... It got way too much air.
I try to fix things with a hammer and wrench!
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

Mikuni style carb REQUIRES slight vacuum to pull the fuel UP from the bowl. All the parts are cheap enough (used) so why bother with 'rigging' it?
Scoot safely
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

never mind. i finally got all the parts.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

noiseguy wrote:Dude, turn your caps lock off. No need to shout.

I've been wanting to try the Chevy breather thing. You have two Sprees? Try it on the one that runs and see how it works. If it does, use it on the other. The critical thing on the intake is the length of the rubber tube to the carb. Do you have that part? If not you could probably make something up with coolant hose.

Let us know what you find out, and how it impacts idle, wide open throttle, and part throttle response.
I plan on trying the chevy breather idea as well. has anyone else tried it? if i get it, i will get the size 70 jet to compensate for the extra air, should that setup work?
projects galore :nerd:
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

Simple answer - NO it won't.
Scoot safely
MYSTERE1
Goped
Goped

Post by MYSTERE1 »

I have a mini K&N cone filter on my spree. I use a size 70 main jet. It's been running like this for 4 years now. top speed of 65km/h. I've also done some other mods though.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

what other mods did u do?
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
MYSTERE1
Goped
Goped

Post by MYSTERE1 »

gutted my exhust, modefied the front pully, port and pollished intake. run on 94 octain fuel. or aviation fuel when i can get it. i'm looking into moding a polini race pipe to fit. other than that, i weigh 200 lbs. and it helps to give her a push from a complete stop to get her going. but hey, i keep up with traffic!
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

When you say "gutted the exhaust," did you saw apart the muffler and remove all the baffles, or did you drill it out?
MYSTERE1
Goped
Goped

Post by MYSTERE1 »

I took a 1/4" drill bit about 1' long & drilled 4 holes in the back. in a box pattern. I didn't just drill stright through though. i took a lot out. i didn't have a welder at my disposal at the time so i couldn't cut it open so i just took as much out as i could with the bit.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

OK. That's the speed mod listed in the tech section. I'm buying a spare muffler to try this on; should be here next week.

I was contemplating sawing it apart and removing the baffles, and enlarging the rear outlet to 13mm (from 11.) Drilling would be easier though...