86 Spree - Rear brake cable question

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Kinjia
Noob
Noob

86 Spree - Rear brake cable question

Post by Kinjia »

Hey all -

I'm trying to resurrect an 86 Spree that hasn't been among the living since around 1990. New fuel, plug, battery oil and air filter have helped a lot. However...
The rear brake is locked. I disconnected the cable from the rear wheel and discovered the cable is "frozen" inside the sheathing. I've been working on it with WD-40 and light oil, and I can now move the cable inside, but only with difficulty. How much resistance should I have on the cable, or should it move very easily?
For what it's worth, I don't notice any rust on the portion of cable I can see (either end), so I'm hoping to salvage this cable and not have to replace it altogether.

Anyone?

Thanks!
Kinjia -
Project Resurrection - 1986 Spree
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Try tying a baggy to one end, filled with light oil, and leave it hanging a few days to a week. I'm betting that fixes it.

You should only get light resistance, at most. The rear drum spring will pull it backwards. If your front brakes work, they provide the major stopping power.

These are cheap ($15-20 new,) so don't spend too much time hassling with it if you've gotten the rest of the scooter going already.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Kinjia
Noob
Noob

Post by Kinjia »

Excellent.
Thanks!
Kinjia -
Project Resurrection - 1986 Spree