The Bystarter how does it work?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

The Bystarter how does it work?

Post by Trafficjamz »

When I first got my 1986 spree, the wiring was pretty bad. Corrosion, and melted wires were common all over this scoot. After getting nowhere with the stock wiring, I decided I would just wire the entire moped from scratch.
Everything on my spree works just fine now, except the bystarter is not hooked up.

What sort of signal needs to be sent to the bystarter? Is it 12v and a ground when the key is switched?

My scooter does not have a key switch at all. Hopefully the bystarter starts working when the engine starts running, and not when the key is turned.

Please help me figure this out. The cooler temps here in Michigan make starting and running this spree without the bystarter more and more difficult
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: The Bystarter how does it work?

Post by mousewheels »

Hi,
Welcome, and good job getting the wiring fixed.
What sort of signal needs to be sent to the bystarter? Is it 12v and a ground when the key is switched?
The bystarter is powered from the same coil as the headlight (ac voltage rather than battery). Thus it turns on/off with the engine, no key switch is required in its circuit. The Yellow wire goes to the Yellow wire of the stator. The Green wire will go to a resistor then to ground. Resistance varies between scooter models, I think the Spree is around 5ohms.
Attachments
BystarterWiring.JPG
BystarterWiring.JPG (26 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I rarely can add much to helpful Mouse's advice on Ee-leck-Trick-ul stuff. Since you sound pretty handy yourself, the Bystarter should be good if it reads under 10 Ohms (like a Yoga chant... :happy: ) and demonstrates a 5mm "Erection" after 5 minutes under a 12v load. I don't think the polarity matters as it's a heating coil.

Since it hasn't worked in a while, you may encounter more mechanical problems than electrical ones. I suggest you verify that the BS "mini-jet" is clear of amber and perhaps the bystarter bore itself could use a soak-and-spritz according to time-honored Carb Cleaning Legend. When the Bystarter's working correctly, it makes these little gems start with surprising ease in very cold temps.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

I join the Wheelman in endorsing Mouseman. He's tops in electrical. :2thumbs:

I commend you in your rewiring. :2thumbs: I hate wiring issues and rebuilding a harness is a challenge. :eyeroll: I would have opted for a used harness on eBay.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes