Is anyone else having trouble with the 44mm kit???

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

08roadking
Noob
Noob

Is anyone else having trouble with the 44mm kit???

Post by 08roadking »

Well, This is my saga. i took a perfectly running 85 spree and decided to go with the 44mm kit, the gears and a fresh carborator rebuild. I Installed the 95 jet and top speed was 25 MPH after "break-in". Has anyone else put the 44 kit in and had it run correctly? If so, what jet did you use and how do you have the carborator set? I would appreciate any help that can be offered.

Tom
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Is anyone else having trouble with the 44mm kit???

Post by bakaracer »

pull the plug and see what it looks like.post a pic of the plug too.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
08roadking
Noob
Noob

Post by 08roadking »

plug is soaked with gas
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

Are you using the stock air box?

Mine would not run with the stock air box. (even with top off)

Remove the stock air box tube and run a pod filter. I made mine from an block breather filter for autozone.

Also the 95 jet is too big. I cant say for sure what size mine is. It is a drilled out 68jet. but it is bigger than 68,and smaller than the 95

My spree with 44mm bbk, 1/2" x 26" belt and small pully mod does 34 on gps and gets there pretty quick. It was doing 38 on gps with a more agressive pully mod, but you had to push off on every start.

When $$ is right I want to get the new gears and switch my pully back to stock
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
circusracer
Goped
Goped

Post by circusracer »

Tazland is the one who sells the kits. He was on here a little bit ago asking who bought his kits, because he was swapping the 95 jets for 85 I believe. Look him up and he should take care of you. The 95 is too big and you are running rich.
84,85,86 sprees: Intake mod, drilled pipe, .020" milled 1985 head, dome piston, 2mm raised exhaust port, sb50 reeds, 34mph average.
08roadking
Noob
Noob

Post by 08roadking »

well i messed with it again today.95 jet back in=idles but when you come off idle it floods out.plug is soaked... so i put the 68 back in and idles nice will rev-up on the kick stand but under a load it seems like not enough fuel.yes i have asked taz for the 85 jet and he said he mailed it last friday but i have yet to see in in my mailbox.he said he will send another one on monday.maybe the dealer has some but cant check till the morn.
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

08roadking wrote:well i messed with it again today.95 jet back in=idles but when you come off idle it floods out.plug is soaked... so i put the 68 back in and idles nice will rev-up on the kick stand but under a load it seems like not enough fuel.yes i have asked taz for the 85 jet and he said he mailed it last friday but i have yet to see in in my mailbox.he said he will send another one on monday.maybe the dealer has some but cant check till the morn.
slow down there, buddy! you're just trying to ruin yout kit with that 68 jet. don't do that. :nervous:
Trafficjamz wrote:Are you using the stock air box?
Mine would not run with the stock air box. (even with top off)
Remove the stock air box tube and run a pod filter. I made mine from an block breather filter for autozone.
Also the . 95 jet is too big
i'm not the first to ask... what kind of intake setup do you have? try a uni pod and the 85 jet. the stock airbox has also been modified to work, but a smaller jet is needed. the only way to really know is to keep doing plug chops. right now it's "wet"with a 95 jet.
i'm willing to say you're running way rich. :shock: the 68 will be way too lean, run hot and fry the engine. :nervous:
here's a nice chart i borrowed from bear. :mrgreen: i like my plug to be range of pic#13 thru pic#16.

if you tell us more about your setup, we can tell you more about getting it to run right.
every engine is different.
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
08roadking
Noob
Noob

Post by 08roadking »

it has the stock air filter assembly with 2 1'' holed drilled in the lid.well i put it to bed and ill see if the 85 jet comes in tomorrows mail. i really appreciate the help with this.and if i cant get it running i cant do a plug chop. :surprise:
08roadking
Noob
Noob

Post by 08roadking »

well just bought a pod filter from fleebay should be here in a few days. thanks all again..tom :2thumbs:
redrocket
Goped
Goped

Post by redrocket »

every motor is diffrent but i drilled out a 86 and am pretty close i think a lil lean still with the uni pod
08roadking
Noob
Noob

Post by 08roadking »

ok got 85 jet in and runs well.got it up to 38mph :surprise: takes off slow though is there any thing i can do to make it come out of the hole better? :confused: im thinking of putting the stock gears back in.and running it again to see if the gears are whats bogging it down so bad.any ideas? 44 kit,85 jet,head done,new gears,and pod filter. thanks again for your info.
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

without a variator, sluggish takeoff is the tradeoff for going 38. now it's time to tune. get out the skinny grindstones, read up on porting a bit, and let her breathe. also, if you don't have the bigger 86/87 reedblock you should find one. grind out your intake. you'll probably be able to push fourty, and get there quicker. i haven't tried the gears, but i expect to push from a dead stop no matter what. it's liike taking off in third gear in your car.
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

i am running close to a 90 main jet with 5--1/2 holes drilled in the top of my stock air box. its starting to sound more and more like we need to be running the uni with this kit. i can only get 31 out of mine and my first plug chop looked perfect according to the chart around the 15-16 mark. my exhuat is probably clogged. one person said the 85 was to lean for him but each motor is different.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
jamadi112233
Spree
Spree

Post by jamadi112233 »

I had problems wit the 85 being lean. i just drilled out a 68 jet to a 91 and put that in. I figure if anything, ill be running a little rich. i also just dropped the gears in so we'll see..
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

38mph aint to bad. That is a 13 mph gain for you. My spree takes off like a stock spree now with the gears and the 44mm BBK. But my new top end is worth it. I went rolling down this hill yesterday and my spree was flyin. :nervous:

taz