84 Spree won't start after battery charged

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

atbadge
Noob
Noob

84 Spree won't start after battery charged

Post by atbadge »

I filtered through a number of previous pages and didn't find this precise situation, but I apologize if this is one which has previously been answered:

I bought a 1984 Spree. I put in a new battery, neglected to charge it, and it was working fantastically for a day. After that, it refused to move. I charged the battery overnight and the same situation persists. Is it possible I blew the battery fuse? Or does something else need to be replaced?

Thanks for your help and, again, sorry if this has been answered before.

Anthony
Kansas City
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: 84 Spree won't start after battery charged

Post by mousewheels »

atbadge wrote:I bought a 1984 Spree. I put in a new battery, neglected to charge it, and it was working fantastically for a day. After that, it refused to move. I charged the battery overnight and the same situation persists. Is it possible I blew the battery fuse? Or does something else need to be replaced?
-- Discharge of battery
If the part about charging the battery overnight means it then started, but was dead after it sat its likely a bad regulator. With the ignition switch off the only electrical component tied to the battery is the regulator.

--- Fuse
Your fuse is ok if the electric start works, because power to operate the starter relay must flow through the fuse.

Here's a link
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... tor#p84257
atbadge
Noob
Noob

Post by atbadge »

Thanks-it still would not start after charging the battery overnight.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Thanks-it still would not start after charging the battery overnight.
Is there anything electrical that will work with the Ignition on?
Horn, turn signals, taillight, brake light, starter relay clicks?

--- I'm just throwing out ideas here:
If all are dead - could be the fuse, ignition switch or a broken connection between battery and ground. Sometimes from age, wear and vibration the battery lead will break at the terminal and hide out under the insulated cover. If its a rusty bike, I've seen the green battery connection fail at the point it bolts to the frame.
atbadge
Noob
Noob

Post by atbadge »

That's what's happening: nothing comes on when the ignition switch is turned to on, which is frustrating after everything seemed to be running fine. I'll follow these leads, thanks.
Wheelman-111

Checking Battery Cables

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Most people are timid about checking their battery connections. A Sportster.org Lister once suggested that if you can pull the wire out of the loop terminal, it wasn't any good to begin with. Aside from inspecting, give each battery wire a firm tug.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
atbadge
Noob
Noob

Post by atbadge »

Okay, after cleaning the carb and reconnecting the battery, the Spree will start. Twice I have got it running as it was before. Each time this happened, however, I hit the killswitch, stopping the bike, after which the bike would not restart (I reset and turned off the killswitch, so that is not the problem). I get some power, the engine coughs a bit like it wants to start, but it will not start up again. I'm curious if I'm doing something wrong or if there is a larger issue at work here.

Anthony
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

since im new to the whole engine thing...dont take what i say as fact...but, i had the same problem, it would crank but not start.
when i first started my bike up, i had to put gas down the air filter to make sure that wasnt the problem, and it started, but didnt after that.
my problem ended up being tuning the carb. when i had the air box lid off, it would start, when i put it back on, i had to readjust the screws.
now, depending on the weather, im still having to adjust them just about every time i start it.
dont know if this helps any, just letting you know what worked for me.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80