Winterize/Storing my 2 Elites over the winter. Questions

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

eclypse
Spree
Spree

Winterize/Storing my 2 Elites over the winter. Questions

Post by eclypse »

I need to store my 2 honda elites this winter and would like to know whats important to do. I've read How to winterize / long term store your scooter from noisebuy but still am confused.

I should store it with a full gas tank to prevent rust in the tank correct? Though i've also read that you should'nt leave the cab with fluid in it or it will tarnish.. Should i just not worry about that and just take them apart in the spring for a clean and not worry about it?

Also about the batteries.. The scoots are going to be stored in the cold garage so i'll probably have to bring them in. Now when i do, do i need to do anything else to them? I bought a couple of battery maintainers but unsure if they will work with the batteries. New to that. i'll find the package and report back shortly.

Both have not been started in probably 2 months or so.. The one is leaking oil from under the motor so i should probably figure out exactly where first. heh

Thanks for any help.. Wifes dying to get her car back in the garage and the scoots out of the way.

EDIT: Ok i have 2 Chicago Electric Power Tools 12 Volt, Automatic Battery Float Chargers.

Specs
  • Not a Tricle Charger

Perfect for Storing Rv's,Motorcycles,Boats,Watercrafts and more.

For use on flooded or Gel-Cell batteries.

The float charger prevents self discharge of the battery, while maintaining and extending the life of rechargeable 12 volt batteries. It maintains a bettery charge for battiers rated from 5 to 125 amp-hours, by providing a 13.2 VDC maximum output. Other types of charges provide a strong, rapid charge but tend to boil out liquids and decay electrodes.
My original Honda 88 Elite SA50 LX Needs lots of love!
2001 Honda Elite SR All Black runing great!
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Re: Winterize/Storing my 2 Elites over the winter. Questions

Post by hondaman »

The main thing you want to do is add Stabil gas treatment to a fresh tank of gas. Yes it is a good idea to fill your gas tank to the top to prevent corrosion. Once your tank is full of the stabilized gas run the engine for about 5 minutes or take it on a short ride. This ensures the stabilized gas has gotten through the gas lines and carburetor. Some people will also drain the carb of gas at this time but I have found it is really not needed if you have added that Stabil to the gas. Take your battery inside the house to prevent freezing over the winter. You should use a 2 amp or less battery charger or maintainer on the battery over the winter. You can just charge the battery once a month for about 3 hours if you do not have a battery maintainer and just a charger. Cover the scooter with a small motorcycle cover and thats about it. Oh yes it also doesn't hurt to make sure the scooter is on its centerstand and maybe prop up the front end to keep weight off of the tires. This helps to prevent flat spots from forming after having the tires sitting in one spot over winter.
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Thanks for the response.. Stabil? Can i find this anywhere? how much do i add to the tank? I hope i can get them runing after sitting there for so long heh.

So the batter float charger i have is no good as its higher then 2 amps?
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

You can get Stabil at any Wal-mart store. Read the directions on the bottle for the amount to use. I always fill up a small 1 or 2 gallon gas can and add the Stabil to it. Shake the can real good to distribute the Stabil in the gas and then fill up your gas tank with it.
You should add the Stabil to fresh gas only. Adding it to gas which is 2 or 3 months old will not help to keep it good.
Yes you should only use a small motorcycle battery charger to charge your battery. They are usually 2 amps or less. You can find these at Walmart as well or any Fleet Farm store.
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Welp no money to buy another charger unless its real cheap. Could i just take the battery out and hope for the best or would it drain?

Thats gona suck to get all the gass out of the tank to fill it with the new stuff. I've done it once before.. just a pain to figure out how to get rid of it.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

If you have Seafoam handy its a fuel stabilizer too.

I like using old fuel for cleaning parts with an old toothbrush :naughty:
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Welp no money to buy another charger unless its real cheap. Could i just take the battery out and hope for the best or would it drain?
That float charger sounds just like what I use. The regulated 13.2v output is a good match for long term battery storage. I've used one for 4 years on a Spree sized battery w/o problems. I'd think your battery is much better off on this float charger than sitting idle over the winter.
Attachments
HF_FloatCharger.JPG
HF_FloatCharger.JPG (22.76 KiB) Viewed 7040 times
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

mousewheels.. Is that rated the same as mine?? From 5-125 amps?

EDIT: Same item number so i'll assume its the same one.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

eclipse wrote:mousewheels.. Is that rated the same as mine?? From 5-125 amps?

EDIT: Same item number so i'll assume its the same one.
Yes - box says 5-125 amps.

I'd normally not go against the ratings. But have had good results with this charger, and have some info backed up by battery vendor data.

That 5amp low end rating caused some head scratching. The rating of the 'wall wart' and the regulated voltage is within the wet cell batteries we use in our scooters. The wall wart is rated for 600mA, which is ok for our batteries and 13.2 is within recommendations for wet cells in float charge usage.

Pic below shows the wall wart, as well circuit board inside the 'blob' in the middle of the cable. Its the regulator section, and I've tested it for temperature compensation. For good life under float conditions, the charger *must* be temperature compensated. If not, and the battery maintained is not at room temperature, there will be either undercharge or overcharge. Happily this charger is, and the curve matched up with some vendor battery technical data.

Readers - There are more sophisticated battery maintainers such as the 'Battery Tender Jr". If you like the best. buy one, it will coddle your battery. But thus far, battery life(4+yrs) vs cost of this charger has been good.
Attachments
HF_FloatChargerWallWart.JPG
HF_FloatChargerWallWart.JPG (27.93 KiB) Viewed 7011 times
HF_FloatChgVout.jpg
HF_FloatChgVout.jpg (19.85 KiB) Viewed 7009 times
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Thanks! Thats some good news as i bought 2 last summer from harbur freight during one of there sales.

Last question.. do the batteries need to be charged in the house or is cold temps no big deal?
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Ok, i've got my work cut out for me today. hehe. Wish me luck getting these 2 started! I hope the batteries are not dead already.

I just got back from the store and bought the small bottle of Stabil and another container for the new gas. Now i can use the old container to store the old gas for that wicked cleaning solution! Thx bradthreee lol.

First thing i'm gona do is try the electric start to see if the batteries are good. Then pump out all the old gas. Then add the stabil to the container and shake the * out of it. Then top them off and start them up.

Then take the batteries out and put them on the float chargers.

Oh yeah, fill the tires and find something to keep the front tires off the ground so i dont get a flat spot in my new tires. ;)

Thanks for all the help! Appreciate it as always :2thumbs:
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

eclypse wrote:ast question.. do the batteries need to be charged in the house or is cold temps no big deal?
The charger will do a better job if the batteries are closer to room temp. Temperature compensation of the charger helps, but at either end of the temperature range there's other problems. High temperatures accelerate death of the battery with or without a maintainer. At low temps it won't accept the maintenance charge well.

Nice work on winterizing!
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

That didnt go good.. I'm 1 for 2. The newer 2001 Elite SA50 SR was fine.. Took a min or 2 to start and forever to warm up as its cold out today. Ran it around the block a few times. The other one has some serious problems.

The 1988 SA50 LX has a oil leak from the bottom screw on the Carb. Cant remember off the top of my head if the bottom one is the throttle or the idle screw. Also even worse is that there was another oil leak on the other side of the motor. A nice puddle below and in the bottom of the fly wheel. So i guess the oil seal on that side is no good.

Not that big of a deal i guess as it now makes sense why out of no where the scoot was smoking pretty bad the first 2-3 mins when i started it up and down the street. I thought it was from me cleaning out the gas tank but i guess not as it never went away. Oh, and i say no big deal as late in the summer i noticed that the splines on the cranksaft are about gone. Brand new crankaft bought 20 years ago that was put on this summer and gonner! hehe. Newbie mistake putting the nut on the cranksaft with a impact wrench a couple of times.. Yeah, just about 3-4 times max is all that it took. Learned the right way now but too late.

So come spring i'll be riping the motor off and taking a look at it.. Either get a new cranksaft/head or just get another motor all together. I wanted to check out the head as the top speed i could reach was only 31mph.

Anyways i could not get that 88 lx to start for nothing.. Electric starter was working and it was cranking but nothing.. Kick start for some reason was messed up.. Never had a prob with it before but strangly enough i had to lift the kick start back to the up possition before i could give it another kick..

So atleast i've saved the gas tank on the 1988 lx lol..

Topped bother off and got the batteries out and going to put them on the charger.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

It looks like your 88 is going to require major surgery next spring anyway. Put some stabilizer in the tank, pull the battery and take inside. I agree with former poster that Seafoam is tops. Do same prep for the SR, but running it a mile or two will insure Seafoam is in the carburetor.

Your float charger seems similar to the Battery Tender. If you can't afford another charger right now, just put it on your calendar to switch the charger between batteries every couple of weeks. I just bought two new Battery Tenders, now having 4. Lots of scooters and two mowers with batteries. Need more tenders.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
eclypse
Spree
Spree

Post by eclypse »

Lunytune wrote:It looks like your 88 is going to require major surgery next spring anyway. Put some stabilizer in the tank, pull the battery and take inside. I agree with former poster that Seafoam is tops. Do same prep for the SR, but running it a mile or two will insure Seafoam is in the carburetor.

Your float charger seems similar to the Battery Tender. If you can't afford another charger right now, just put it on your calendar to switch the charger between batteries every couple of weeks. I just bought two new Battery Tenders, now having 4. Lots of scooters and two mowers with batteries. Need more tenders.
I did top off both scooters with new gas mixed with Stabil. I have had both batteries on seperate float chargers since that day inside. Both batteries read around 9+ volts when i put them on. Will this be fine as in will they charge back up or will the float charger just keep them at 9 volts?

Yeah i'm determined to get that 88 restored and runing like new so i'll be back on these forums come spring with the motor in parts to repair what needs to be fixed.. Hopefully the head will be fine. The scooter never seemed to run as fast as i remember it did 20 years ago and i bet it was to do with the bad seal. Crankshaft is going to be replaced atleast and all oil seals. This time put the new crankshaft gasket on as my dad talked me into that it was fine.