Throttle valve setting?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

wayne
Noob
Noob

Throttle valve setting?

Post by wayne »

I'm still working on this 86 spree trying to get it to run. I cleaned the carb and checked everything by the manual and it still doesn't run right.
It will start and hit about ten times and quit. Take out the plug and its wet.
The manual says the throttle may be open to far. I forgot to write down how many turns the screw was out before I cleaned the carb. I have been trying it at about 1 turn out. any one know about where I should set it to get it going?
Also I don't have a belt on the motor right now. Will that be a problem to get it started?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

1 7/8 turns out on the air screw. Look in tech docs, it's there. You set the idle so that it will run; I think 1 1/2 turns for the idle stop is a start point.

Have you replaced the plug?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
wayne
Noob
Noob

Post by wayne »

yea noiseguy I have replaced the plug. so far I have cleaned carb,changed cdi, changed coil, cleaned air cleaner foam, checked all resistance specs with a vom per manual, checked float level per specs, checked compression, confirmed bystarter with vacuum pump & resistance test, also with 12v applided all works by the manual, also removed belt because the manual says a problem there or clutch can stall the engine just as it is starting.
I rode the spree one day and everything was normal. shut it off and it never started again. problem still the same. it will start and hit about ten times and quit. pull the plug and its wet. ground the plug and it fires fine even though wet. dry it and put it back in and the same thing happens again. I have tried pulling the vacuum hose off the gas valve and manually filling float bowl to different levels, to no avail.
you know it looks like i have to be overlooking some simple thing, and thats frustrating. this thing is beginning to rent space in my head. I have spent years working on 350 chevy proformance engines and i am humbled by a 49cc motor! however i am not giving up. thanks for the answer, all help is much apprechiated
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

wayne wrote: you know it looks like i have to be overlooking some simple thing, and thats frustrating. this thing is beginning to rent space in my head. I have spent years working on 350 chevy proformance engines and i am humbled by a 49cc motor! however i am not giving up. thanks for the answer, all help is much apprechiated
Rent space in your head? I'll have to remember that.

These are much fussier engines than Chev V8's.

Here's a longshot (and I'm assuming all the work you did was correct.) It's obviously running really rich. Replace the vacuum line to petcock with a clear vinyl tube. Check to see if gas is running through it into the manifold.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
wayne
Noob
Noob

Post by wayne »

thanks for the idea noiseguy. I'll give it a look and post what I find.
wayne
Noob
Noob

Post by wayne »

Well I was right about one thing, it was something simple. After I rode the scoot the last time it sat for about 5 days. In that 5 days some bees (KILLER BEEZ!!) made a mud nest in the little tiny tail pipe on the end of the muffler. So of course it would start for 2 seconds and build up back pressure and quit.
So if you have bees around your place bee careful because they can kill sprees.
Mormonmopedmaifa
Spree
Spree

Post by Mormonmopedmaifa »

lol wow . btw what is backpressure and why does a 2-stroke need it?
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

we dont have killer bees in michigan.
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
wayne
Noob
Noob

Post by wayne »

Oh ya!!! they do in St. Ignace MI because thats where they killed my spree. that makes them killer beez.