Stock Oil Pump Delivery Ratio

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Re: Stock Oil Pump Delivery Ratio

Post by JJ Joseph »

kingkamehameha wrote: Come to kona and get spanked by last century oil measuring and castor in your face
Castor oil? isn't that like . . . used in model airplanes?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Castor oil is old-school 2-stroke oil. Made from castor beans. Smells better than petro-based oils, clogs exhaust faster.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
richdavison34
Elite
Elite

Post by richdavison34 »

Also has medicinal uses....Although I wouldn't want to try it.
"Normality is an illusion rooted in the disease of fear, the unafflicted labeled insane".

"The removal of ignorance is more important that the acquisition of knowledge."

1984 Honda Aero 50.
Carb Swap. Cone filter.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Amana wrote:A center trips opposite Stock Oil Pump Delivery Ratio. The search injures the insistence. Will Stock Oil Pump Delivery Ratio skip on top of a textbook? Stock Oil Pump Delivery Ratio budgets a poetry. The front reward relieves a problem. Stock Oil Pump Delivery Ratio obscures a raining knowledge under the wooden metric
Are really madddog's little sister?
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
yurself
Goped
Goped

Post by yurself »

I was reading and heard how people were transporting oil. I use a stabil fuel stabilizer container that has the measuring part attached. add one ounce per .25 gallon and call it done. The container works great and I know how much I am putting in every time. I actually add a little less because I still have my sa50p pump running not tied open. But that's just me. I plan to remove the pump just haven't gotten around to it and don't know if I can do it without taking everything off the scooter.
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

yurself wrote:I still have my sa50p pump running not tied open. But that's just me. I plan to remove the pump just haven't gotten around to it and don't know if I can do it without taking everything off the scooter.
Why are people so retarded about Honda oil pumps? It's a fine piece of quality engineering and will keep you properly oiled up to 100cc - maybe more. In other words, there's enough oil for a 50mm BBK and a mild stroker crank. What's the point of removing the pump and going to premix? On long downhill runs, you'll score your moving bits from lack of oil when running without a pump. That's what the pump is for. Running on premix is like going back to the 1950s with Villiers 2-strokes. You can never get the mix ratio right when running on premix. Why go there if you don't have to?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

JJoseph likes his oil pump, and sez:
a fine piece of quality engineering and will keep you properly oiled up to 100cc - maybe more. In other words, there's enough oil for a 50mm BBK and a mild stroker crank.
I'm not so sure there Pard. The pump delivers oil to the intake tract, sure enough. However the spatter that forms the puddle in the bottom of the crankcase arrives at an equilibrium with the fuel/air mix blowing through, washing it out. When you increase that flow of solvent, by 50% or more, how exactly do you compensate with the oil pump, that delivers less than 1 part oil for 50 parts fuel?
What's the point of removing the pump and going to premix? On long downhill runs, you'll score your moving bits from lack of oil when running without a pump.
When the throttle's closed, the engine mostly stops drawing intake charge. That puddle will eventually dry up, but it'll take a Haleakala-size downhill run before that happens. Lots of Hawaiians mod and stroke their scooters. Add my own experience to theirs with the oil pump to know the stock pump doesn't belong on a big-bore. Glad yours is working out, but it's not "retarded" to remove it.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Add my own experience to theirs with the oil pump to know the stock pump doesn't belong on a big-bore. Glad yours is working out, but it's not "retarded" to remove it.
You can add my experience with BSAs, Suzukis, Hondas, and 2-stroke aircraft engines. Aircraft 2-strokes didn't work until they added oil pumps. The reason is that the engines became oil-starved during descent and seized up. 2-stroke bikes are no different - they're oil-deprived when going down hill, and the engine gets fried. I've attached a photo of a Hirth 40hp 2-stroke twin oil pump. Dang! Doesn't it look just like a Honda scooter oil pump! During break-in, Hirth recommends 50:1 premix even though it's being oiled by the pump. After 1 tankful of premix, it's back to straight gas & the oil pump. The pump's output is checked every 100 hours, and it's replaced with a new unit every 1000 hours. Without oil flow, the engine isn't airworthy (since it's likely to seize up during descent). 2-stroke scooters are no different: your engine lasts much longer with oil injection.
Attachments
hirth_oilpump.png
hirth_oilpump.png (76.01 KiB) Viewed 14239 times
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

What the h@ll does downhill have to do with anything? Your logic is not only flawed but senseless. It has to do with decelerating and nothing else.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

Bear45-70 wrote:What the h@ll does downhill have to do with anything?
Let me guess: you live in the Midwest on flat farmland, right? You have to get out more. Some places have hills. First you go up hill. Then you go DOWN hill. Try Google Earth. You'll see that there's a lot of places that have hills and roads. About half the roads go DOWN hill. Does it make sense now?
Attachments
bear_hunt.jpg
bear_hunt.jpg (92.88 KiB) Viewed 14237 times
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

JJ Joseph wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:What the h@ll does downhill have to do with anything?
Let me guess: you live in the Midwest on flat farmland, right? You have to get out more. Some places have hills. First you go up hill. Then you go DOWN hill. Try Google Earth. You'll see that there's a lot of places that have hills and roads. About half the roads go DOWN hill. Does it make sense now?
You'd be wrong again moron. I live at sea level at the base of mountains. I've ridden as high as 8,000 feet, have you gone from sea level to that high?

That is salt water in the foreground and these are the short mountains, the tall ones are the other direction.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

so jj, you really believe that a stock oil pump meant to deliver the correct oil/fuel ratio at 50cc is fine for 100cc?

and how is there no oil flowing to the engine going downhill, with a premix setup? :eyeroll: That make no sense.

The oil is in the gas! so there is always oil in the gas....up hill down hill, on or off throttle.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

JJ is the only one here who believes what he is saying. The oil is pumped into the carburator to mix with the gas so when it enters the intake it is mixed as if you were running premix. Basically the oil pump is for those stock engines and convience. The pump was added to meter oil at a certain mixture to supply to a stock unmodified engine so that all you had to do was pull into the gas station and filler her with gas without the need to carry gas cans or bottles of oil.
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Actually "UNMODIFIED" is in correct. Some mods will not change the oil requirement enough to be a problem. If you have a mild overbore (4 mm max) with only carb, intake and exhaust mods then the stock pump will be fine. It is the major BBK kits that jump your cc's by 50% is where the trouble starts.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Post by SuprasNsprees »

For Spree owners with the CT manifold, it costs $4 and 5 min time to retain the stock pump

I just Add a tiny bit in the tank every fill up
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit