Stock Oil Pump Delivery Ratio

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Re: Stock Oil Pump Delivery Ratio

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Defining terms would be a good start. A "tablespoon" is defined as 15ml by Pharmaceutical standards to give regular folks without handy access to syringes a way to dose their Kaopectate. Unfortunately the eating implements vary a lot in size and shape, as well as how much you fill them.

Assuming 15 ml, your previous owner was adding two, so that's 30 ml or about 1 fluid ounce per gallon for a 1:128 ratio. Sounds like a quick way to burn up a Big-Bore kit, even if the pump is still connected. Maybe he was calling one of those big coffee scoops a "Tablespoon" and was in fact adding 2x1 or 2x2 Oz per gallon. If it was 4 oz per 128-oz gallon, there's your 1:32.

Quoth Bartle90:
New main and pilot jet
New is good, but size is more important. Need to disassemble and inspect to see if your jetting is in the ballpark.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
S4Patrick
Elite
Elite

Post by S4Patrick »

Question:

What do you guys do/ use to properly mix 2-cycle oil & gasoline to a desired ratio?
-32:1
-40:1

Are there containers/ measuring cups out there to aid in this?

Thanks...

~Patrick
'87 Aero 50 STOCK (only 350miles)
'87 Aero (AF16 Corsa-PG-Short-OKO24mm-8.44)
'86 Aero (AF16 Corsa-SEF Black-OKO21mm-8.44)
'98 Live Dio ZX - 50th Anniversary Edition 68cc
'92 Super Dio ZX - AF18 Corsa

Visit: http://www.airtoolsforless.com
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Any Moto shop that sells the oil can provide a fl.oz/ml. measuring cup. For that matter, so can Wal-Mart, minus the racy-looking logo.

I measure out 8 oz of my favorite oil, then go to the pump and buy 2.000 gallons to arrive at that 32:1 ratio that I prefer. Whatever ratio you choose, try to maintain precise consistency because if you vary the oil ratio significantly, it can affect the jetting requirements of your engine.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

I used a gram to ounce convertor online to figure out how much oil per 3/4 gallon of gas for 32:1. I then put that amount of oil in them small travel mouthwash containers.
I make a mark on the small containers for easy refilling then carry 2 or 3 under the seat. When i get low on gas i just pour in one of the oil containers and then 3/4 gallon of gas.
Pain in the butt at first but quick and easy after the initial measuring.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

evilone wrote:I used a gram to ounce convertor online to figure out how much oil per 3/4 gallon of gas for 32:1. I then put that amount of oil in them small travel mouthwash containers. I make a mark on the small containers for easy refilling then carry 2 or 3 under the seat. When i get low on gas i just pour in one of the oil containers and then 3/4 gallon of gas.
Good grief, my head is hurting after trying to follow the calculations! FWIW, I have an 80cc Dio BBK (SK50M AF18), which is similar to an Elite, and I've driven it wide open for 2 years, 55mph+, doing wheelies at every traffic lite (the only way to ride). Honest - it lifts the front wheel every time I boot it. I hate math so I just use the stock oil pump (#90 main jet) and it's been running just fine for 6,000 miles. No need to use premix and give yourself a headache. The stock oil pump works just fine, even with an 80cc BBK.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Although I'm pleased the stock SK pump has proven itself reliable for your ride, your results are atypical and stray from "Conventional Wisdom". I would agree that such "Wisdom" is often the result of hearsay, happenstance and Luck. Perhaps the SK pump exudes a bit more per stroke than the Elite versions? Maybe there's some Fudge Factor we're not considering? In any case, persons wishing to duplicate JJ's results should proceed with caution. Running an 80 with a 50cc's dose of oil goes against Common Sense.
Wheelman-111
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Perhaps the SK pump exudes a bit more per stroke than the Elite versions?
I believe it's the same pump, but the Dio's feed rate is adjustable and it's connected to the throttle cable. The restricted Elites (SA50P) have a fixed rate of oil feed, NOT connected to the throttle cable. Yes, you have to be careful hot-rodding the Elite SA50P because of the limited oil feed. However, I'm not sure if the regular Elite pump can put out more oil like the Dio pump does. I just figured that the Elite SA50 had the same oil pump as the Dio SK50, but I forgot about the Elite SA50P and its mickey-mouse oil pump setup.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Actually the P-Model pumps do have a "throttle" on them, just no cable connected. This allows the possibility of Zip-Tying it wide open. However even so wired, the P pump will deliver something like 50% less oil than the unrestricted SR pump. Especially for an S owner who's doing a Big-Bore kit with all the trimmin's, that may not be enough.

If you're gonna be having to add an ounce or so of oil per gallon anyway, why not lose the drag of the pump and gain complete control by mixing at 32:1 - or whatever ratio you think best?
Wheelman-111
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

If you're gonna be having to add an ounce or so of oil per gallon anyway, why not lose the drag of the pump and gain complete control by mixing at 32:1 - or whatever ratio you think best?

Because math makes JJ's head hurt :eyeroll:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

Trafficjamz wrote:
Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Because math makes JJ's head hurt :eyeroll:
Yeah, I'd way rather be drag-racing Ninjas (with my Dio) for pink slips than sitting in the gas station getting a headache trying to calculate my oil/gas ratio (just kidding!) :-)
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

JJ Joseph wrote:Good grief, my head is hurting after trying to follow the calculations! FWIW, I have an 80cc Dio BBK (SK50M AF18), which is similar to an Elite, and I've driven it wide open for 2 years, 55mph+, doing wheelies at every traffic lite (the only way to ride). Honest - it lifts the front wheel every time I boot it. I hate math so I just use the stock oil pump (#90 main jet) and it's been running just fine for 6,000 miles. No need to use premix and give yourself a headache. The stock oil pump works just fine, even with an 80cc BBK.
Really, it's simple. 32:1 for 3/4 gallon equals 3 ounces. I have a gram scale and that's why i converted ounces to grams. My head never aches when i pour that oil in the tank :roll:. Pour oil, add gas, ride, re-fill when at home, repeat.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
richdavison34
Elite
Elite

Post by richdavison34 »

The mouthwash bottle idea is nothing short of genius in the realm of efficiency and ingenuity. Which IMO is the essence of scooting.

This question may answer itself based on the fact that you guys have been running pre-mix for what I must consider to be a respectable amount of time thus far....but...

Is there any issue with the pre-mix making contact with the rubber components of the inner carb (float seal, gaskets)? If theyÔÇÖre designed to withstand gasoline, they should be able to handle other forms of petro as well I guess.

I know if you pour motor oil into the brake reservoir on a car, that the seals will turn to paste though.
"Normality is an illusion rooted in the disease of fear, the unafflicted labeled insane".

"The removal of ignorance is more important that the acquisition of knowledge."

1984 Honda Aero 50.
Carb Swap. Cone filter.
spree-rider
Elite
Elite

Post by spree-rider »

evilone wrote:
JJ Joseph wrote:Good grief, my head is hurting after trying to follow the calculations! FWIW, I have an 80cc Dio BBK (SK50M AF18), which is similar to an Elite, and I've driven it wide open for 2 years, 55mph+, doing wheelies at every traffic lite (the only way to ride). Honest - it lifts the front wheel every time I boot it. I hate math so I just use the stock oil pump (#90 main jet) and it's been running just fine for 6,000 miles. No need to use premix and give yourself a headache. The stock oil pump works just fine, even with an 80cc BBK.
Really, it's simple. 32:1 for 3/4 gallon equals 3 ounces. I have a gram scale and that's why i converted ounces to grams. My head never aches when i pour that oil in the tank :roll:. Pour oil, add gas, ride, re-fill when at home, repeat.
i have a gram and ounce scale. :wink: but it's deffinatly not for oil measuring
86 spree
sb 50 intake and reeds
3.00x10 rear tire
waxed

99Polaris indy 700
harliquim paint
2" bar riser
lefty throttle
ice scratchers
SLP tri keel skis
ported
high compression head
chrome low windshield
mountain bar
Xtra-10
I ALWAYS KEEP ONE ROLLED
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

spree-rider wrote:i have a gram and ounce scale. :wink: but it's deffinatly not for oil measuring
I think I know what you mean. Measuring oil is so . . . last century :-) Especially if you drive a Dio or Elite.
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Post by kingkamehameha »

JJ Joseph wrote:
spree-rider wrote:i have a gram and ounce scale. :wink: but it's deffinatly not for oil measuring
I think I know what you mean. Measuring oil is so . . . last century :-) Especially if you drive a Dio or Elite.
Dude your dio is probably super slow with that stock carb and 9:1 gears. Porbably tops out at 50. You obviously don't know much about two strokes. Try pulling your jug off and see how well your stock oil pump is treating it. Don't tell me your putting walmart super tech oil in there too. Come to kona and get spanked by last century oil measuring and castor in your face
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii