honda spree de-restrictions help (sorry for flood)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

dojo
Noob
Noob

honda spree de-restrictions help (sorry for flood)

Post by dojo »

does anyone here know about honda spree derestrictions? i have a 1987 honda spree and am looking at removing all the restrictions. i am also putting on a sports exhaust from a 80cc dirtbike good idea? bad idea?

anyways i was wondering if the restriction ring is contained within the muffler or within the exhaust manifold (where the spark is) because there is a metal ring there and a big clogging washer was wondering if this was the restrictor? also looking into removing the restriction plate.

im gonna look at the vin tomorrow to see if its a iowa or 49 state model.
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

iowa = restricted
not iowa = not restricted
http://m.1asphost.com/SpreeRepairing/iowa.htm

80cc exhaust is a baaaaaaaaaaad idea, it will throw off the backpressure, probobly give you worse power. go ahead and try it, dont think it will mess up anything but just dont throw away or trash the orig, i know you will want to go back
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Dojo,

An 80cc pipe will likely be too large, an 50cc enduro pipe should be sized closer. Problem is that these engines aren't highly tuned. An exhaust of 19mm diam for the initial downpipe is about the right size for these given the current porting. That happens to be the same size as the current exhaust downpipe.
dojo
Noob
Noob

Post by dojo »

is there a restrictor just after the carb like ive read on some other models? or is the only restrictor on this thing the ring in the exhaust pipe? because if thats the case ill just leave my exhaust pipe as is. how do i tell if a muffler is to big/small?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Only restrictor is in the exhaust, and this only on Iowa models. If you want ideas on exhausts, look at other performance pipes on the market for 50cc mopeds. You would rather have an expansion pipe with a pass-through silencer than a baffled exhaust as in stock. It's arguable whether you would go faster, but it would sound meaner.