Bad oil pump?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Tuxedo
BMX
BMX

Bad oil pump?

Post by Tuxedo »

So as summer progressed i noticed my Honda 1986 spree being to smoke when i would first start it. This problem at first was no big deal I would kick it over a few times give it some gas and then i could hop on and ride. As the month progressed it started taking more kicks to get it going, and each time it would start the engine would drag with massive amounts of smoke coming out of it. Ive been looking around on the site and noticed that what im experiencing is infact a bad oil pump. Also it must be noted that around the pump itself there had been oil leakage for sometime and still remains. On this http://www.hondapartshouse.net/pages/pa ... Honda.aspx how would be the best way to disable this oil pump? If that is infact the problem, could i take a dremel and cut off the pole to the gear? Or should i be in the market for a new oil pump? :jack:
Wheelman-111

Re: Bad oil pump?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The pump sure is handy if you're 20 miles from home/premix tank and out of Scooter Oil. I'd replace it with a good used pump. I just happen to have one...

PM if interested.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Tuxedo
BMX
BMX

Post by Tuxedo »

I must also say that i took the engine pretty much apart and go to the piston, the rings looked fine and everything looked intact even the pump itself didnt show signs of it being broken, but my guess is that a bad oil pump usally means that its something internal you cant really see.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The Service Manuals specifically state not to attempt to dismantle the pump. I presume this is intended for Honda Service Technicians, and that the sentiment is that a bollixed pump isn't a candidate for repair, only replacement. Someone here (Mousewheels?) has in fact taken one apart and identiified the seal(s) that go(es) bad. No word if the repair was successful, but I do know it's been attempted.

The leak is usually very slow, perhaps a drop an hour, but the drops add up. My '87 AF05 had a half-cup of oil sloshing around the crankcase when I took it apart. If you run the scooter every day, it's not much of a problem. However let it sit a few days and prepare for some significant smoke. You could see the cloud from mine from Space.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Tuxedo
BMX
BMX

Post by Tuxedo »

Oh ya that sounds like what i have. This ped has been sitting for about 6 months so you could guess how much oil i have had to deal with today. Is there anything else i should do to the moped since its been takin down to the nitty gritty? New pistol rings or something?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

A lot depends on the miles logged. Under 2000, don't touch anything if it ran before. 2000-5000 you could replace rings, but ask for piston, not pistol rings. :) Over 5K and I'd consider pulling out crank bearings and seals for replacement. Maybe $50-80 all-told, for what would amount to a new engine.
Wheelman-111
MINICooperS
Goped
Goped

Post by MINICooperS »

I've had my pump apart several times, no prob ('86 NQ50). Your oil pump may not be bad but may need proper priming. Here is the China Freight pump I use to prime mine. Placed teflon tape on the spout fittings and pumped that puppy!
Attachments
OILER.JPG
OILER.JPG (32.89 KiB) Viewed 3982 times