Sucking wind

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

LawlerClan
Goped
Goped

Sucking wind

Post by LawlerClan »

Got my 87 spree running today (again) today but it is still not right. I have to run it with the air/fuel mixture screw screwed all the way in and one of the air inlets in the air box plugged.

I have one lead right now - the bystarter. Is that supposed to sit down tight? I thought I read on here that the metal hold down was to fit in the second groove. When I do that through, the O-ring isn't touching in some areas and it wiggles around pretty loosely in there. Thoughts?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Sucking wind

Post by mousewheels »

Photo of a partially assembled clamp and bystarter.

CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Dear god, man. Push that bystarter in there proper, twist it if you have to, another 1/8 inch or so. No screw threads should be visible. The metal bracket goes on the uppermost bit on the bystarter body, you're leaking air and running lean! Fix yesterday!
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Dear god, man. Push that bystarter in there proper, twist it if you have to, another 1/8 inch or so. No screw threads should be visible.
The screws were intentionally loosened, and the bystarter pulled up to give the partially assembled view. It was supposed to make clear which slot the clamp goes.
LawlerClan
Goped
Goped

Post by LawlerClan »

Actually, mine kind of looks like that anyway. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. I believe the section facing the camera in that picture is lower on my carb.
LawlerClan
Goped
Goped

Post by LawlerClan »

CharlotteSpreeRider wrote:Dear god, man. Push that bystarter in there proper, twist it if you have to, another 1/8 inch or so. No screw threads should be visible. The metal bracket goes on the uppermost bit on the bystarter body, you're leaking air and running lean! Fix yesterday!
Wait, does the clamp go like in the picture (middle spot) or "on the uppermost bit"?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Wait, does the clamp go like in the picture (middle spot) or "on the uppermost bit"?
Just like the picture, here's a fully disassembled view showing it too.
Bystater_Clamp.JPG
Bystater_Clamp.JPG (30.95 KiB) Viewed 5550 times
mustangwagz
Elite
Elite

Post by mustangwagz »

maybe a very very small amt of vasoline on o ring to help ease the installation..just a light film..might help. just done cake it on there or your due for more problems.

i think my bystarter is shot. If its to cold, i gotta reach up under and plug one hole to start it sometimes. leave it run for a few seconds, then remove my finger. wish these things had manual chokes.

:blah: (curses the electric, wax/oil Filled bystarting device) :blah:
-Zac :coolcruise:

1981 HD-Ironhead Sporty. 1000cc, 4 speed, drag pipes, and drag bars.. (chic/cop magnet)
72 Rupp Roadster 2 (aka. RUMP ROASTER!!)
05 vinson
78 bronco (Log skiddin Hog!!)
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

mustangwagz wrote:maybe a very very small amt of vasoline on o ring to help ease the installation..just a light film..might help. just done cake it on there or your due for more problems.

i think my bystarter is shot. If its to cold, i gotta reach up under and plug one hole to start it sometimes. leave it run for a few seconds, then remove my finger. wish these things had manual chokes.

:blah: (curses the electric, wax/oil Filled bystarting device) :blah:
You are better off using 2 stroke oil in these places. Vaseline can plug things up, while the 2 stroke oil will dissolve in the fuel.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
leaven
Noob
Noob

Post by leaven »

Any chance the carb bolt punched through into the bystarter chamber?
2 strokes are just cheap toys
5 86 Spree's
85 Spree
86 Jog CE50
06 Ranger
A few Chineese junkers
LawlerClan
Goped
Goped

Post by LawlerClan »

leaven wrote:Any chance the carb bolt punched through into the bystarter chamber?
Nope check for those type of issues.
LawlerClan
Goped
Goped

Post by LawlerClan »

Sorry for the poor cell pictures but here are shots of where the bystarter sits in. See how the screw locations are above the lower rim causing the oring not to seal at the bottom?

I got it running pretty good last night with no air restrictions but the fuel/air screw all the way in. Plug looked pretty good in color as well.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Thanks for the pic.
Mmy apologies - The Spree does look to mount the bystarter with the clamp at the top. I used to have a carb around to check those details :oops: The carb in the pic is from a later model Honda. We need to have two photos around for the clamp!

Does it seat correctly with the clamp at the top?
LawlerClan
Goped
Goped

Post by LawlerClan »

It does seat correctly with the clamp at the top. I may switch it and try it again although with it running now I am somewhat hestitant to mess with it too much more. Guess I'll just write down current settings so I can go back.

This is an 87 Spree and I can't say it is the original carb although I would think so. Assuming the odometer is correct it only has 400 miles but some of them were hard miles.
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

stupid answer
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80