is my 01 Elite S exhaust de-restricted already?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

steffen707
Elite
Elite

is my 01 Elite S exhaust de-restricted already?

Post by steffen707 »

So here are my 5 mufflers from top to bottom. I don't see any washers in these exhausts, I do see that on exhausts 1 and 4 the flange has 1 slot and 1 hole, on exhausts 2 and 3 they have 2 slots and the exhaust hole looks smoother at the flange as if maybe on 1 and 4 something was there and poorly drilled out? Also the exhausts 1 and 4 have GS7V stamped on the end of the muffler and the 2 and 3 muflers only have GS7 stamped on them?

The reason why i think its already been done is because when i upjeted from 68 to 78 for my oil test both with the 1 exhaust, I noticed only a slight tiny loss of power, and no change in top speed. Then after putting the 2 (presumably SR exhaust) on the scoot with the 78 jet I noticed NOTHING, no change in power, or top speed. Have i been running with a de-restricted SR exhaust for months now with the 68 jet and poor 135:1 oil pump mixing and not know it? Can somebody post a picture of what a restricted muffler looks like, PLEASE?

one came off my 2001 elite S

two purchased from a hondaspree.net member presumably from an SR

three taken off of my 98 purple elite S i just got from a guy who tinkered with things.

four broken exhaust off of my first elite.

five v8 pipe i also purchased from a hondaspree.net member, can't wait for my 85 and 88 jets.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
05 Kymco Super 9-> My cruiser
xx Honda Gyro -> Man I gotta fix that.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: is my 01 Elite S exhaust de-restricted already?

Post by Trafficjamz »

those are all de-restricted
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Trafficjamz wrote:those are all de-restricted
Can you please post a picture of a restricted one for reference?

ALSO, are the baffles and everything inside the muffler the same?

And are there any intake mods that need to be done along with the 78 jet to make this an SR clone? because i read this in the tech document how to speed up my 94plus elite S
"(air intake) if using the stock air intake there are actually 2 air entrance holes. one of them is plugged. unplug this and the engine will breathe how it was meant to."

And i knocked out the other piece and guess what? Any time you twist the throttle the engine dies out, because its too lean i'm guessing.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
aerorob
Elite
Elite

Post by aerorob »

I swear the exhaust I sent you is from a completely stock elite sr. Should be an inner diameter of about 26mm and the v8 should be 28. Restricted should be a couple mm smaller inner diameter restricting exhaust flow. Possibly the owner before you had dremeled out the washer that resticts it. And definetely try the 88 first when you get the jets and try the v8 I sent.
Good luck.
2001 Elite SR48mm big bore, 90/90, keli vari, yws V8 30mm pipe, 8.4:1 gears 62 mph gps
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Numbers 1 and 4 look more like they were restricted and opened up some. Numbers 2 and 3 are not restricted.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Alright, well what about the airbox situation? I opened up the other passage on my airbox and with a 78 jet when you twist the throttle it just bogs down and will kill the motor unless you let off the gas, like its leaning out, because when I put an unmodified airbox cover back on it, it runs fine again.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Too much is as bad as not enough. Plug up the second hole and see if it cures it or makes it worse. Cures it, try richening the pilot up. Makes it worse, try leaning out the pilot. The main has next to nothing to do with a low speed stumble or stall. These carbs have no accelerator pump so must idle rich enough for the engine to transition for low speed to the high speed fuel circuit on the fuel available. Too lean, they stall, too rich they burble and then transition (maybe). More or bigger is not always a good thing with carburation. Too much kills the bottom end while helping the top end very little. What works for the race setup sucks on the street. FYI, the exhaust restriction only limited the top end and removing it should not effect the low end performance. Unfortunately opening up the intake side changes the flow characteristics thru the carb and screws with the carb setting (the intake side is not as simple as the exhaust side).
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Thanks bear, ill try this. At WOT and idle with the stock airbox cover it runs great.

With the second tab knocked out it runs fine at idle then dies if you crank it WOT and will rev slightly if you just give it a little bit of throttle then dies out again.

Hopefully you are right that I need to richen up the idle circuit to make the transition to WOT work. Would that be a clockwise or counterclockwise turn?

Did everybody have this problem when knocking out the extra tab from the airbox cover?.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Clockwise to richen.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

steffen707 wrote:Thanks bear, ill try this. At WOT and idle with the stock airbox cover it runs great.

With the second tab knocked out it runs fine at idle then dies if you crank it WOT and will rev slightly if you just give it a little bit of throttle then dies out again.

Hopefully you are right that I need to richen up the idle circuit to make the transition to WOT work. Would that be a clockwise or counterclockwise turn?

Did everybody have this problem when knocking out the extra tab from the airbox cover?.
With the second tab punched out,you need to run a 85 or 88 jet.The 78 is way to small.Your first pic of the exhaust has the restricter drilled out but not all the way.when cutting out the restricter,it should look like the sr pipe that doesn't have a restricter in it.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Hmmmm, guess I was misinformed that the 78 jet with SR pipe and the 2nd tab knocked out was good to go. Ill wait for my 85 and 88 jets later this week to show up.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

steffen707 wrote:Hmmmm, guess I was misinformed that the 78 jet with SR pipe and the 2nd tab knocked out was good to go. Ill wait for my 85 and 88 jets later this week to show up.
Yeah running it with the 78 jet and the second tab punched out and the non washered exhaust is asking for a seize to happen.
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

I'm curious, if all my stock elites have had the washers drilled out and all of them were on the 68 jet then all of them were running lean right? Not good.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

steffen707 wrote:I'm curious, if all my stock elites have had the washers drilled out and all of them were on the 68 jet then all of them were running lean right? Not good.
yup! it was running lean and its not good.if you don't have the split cable for the oil pump,tie it open and line up the arrows.that way when your at wot your engine will have enough oil flowing.don't worry about it at idle as the pump flows harder as the rpms go up.
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

What do the 2 arrows mean? That's where you have best flow? I just thought if you had it tied wide open you were good, never heard about arrows.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.