Honda Elite 80 - Starting problem

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

huyzeefbaby
Noob
Noob

Honda Elite 80 - Starting problem

Post by huyzeefbaby »

I just want to say im a new member with my first Honda elite 80 moped.

HOpefully you guys can help me out.

It ran and started fine when i drove it for the first week i got it.

Then i noticed sometimes when i go to hit the start button, it doesnt start. I would only hear a clicking sound( Relay).

But now it doesn't start at all. When i turn the key, the lights and everything would go on. I checked the battery and it is at full charge with perfect cold crank.

The only time that i can get it to start is by jump-starting it with a car( i know it bad-but only way). I would hook it up to the car and have to wait a while and then push the start button and it would start up and run perfectly--- although it slowlys turns over as though it has a weak battery. You can even ride it for miles with no problems until you shut it off and it would do the same thing.

Now from all this i deducted that it was maybe the battery but i switched it with a new one from a shop and it still didn't work(maybe they didnt fully charged it yet because they just put in the fluids of the battery----but the lights and everything came on and relay clicked).

So what do you guys think the problem maybe? a ground, wiring problem? but why would it start after i hook it up to a car.
Limp1144
Elite
Elite

Re: Honda Elite 80 - Starting problem

Post by Limp1144 »

Maybe the cars jumper cable gives you a better ground. I would make a new ground for the battery and see if that helps the problem
Atis
BMX
BMX

Re: Honda Elite 80 - Starting problem

Post by Atis »

Still may be dead "batteries" like you say the new one may not be fully charged. Did you check the voltage under load? You should check the voltage while cranking (or trying) I'm guessing it will drop down drastically. If it starts normally with a jump there's not much else it could be, other than maybe connections, ground ect. as was already mentioned. Once you get the starting sorted out though you need to check that you are charging the battery while running, something caused the first one to die. Goood luck.