Where to find *regular* Drano?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

gfisher99
Spree
Spree

Where to find *regular* Drano?

Post by gfisher99 »

Weird topic, I know. I need to decarbonize my Spree exhaust and the fire pit is not really an option as I live in a strict housing development with a hardcore HOA. I have a gas grill, but I dont want to kill the grill by putting it at high heat for hours on end. Its a very expensive grill, and the wife would kill me if something happened to it.

I have looked at 3 grocery stores, Home Depot, Target, and Lowes for "Regular" liquid Drano, but have had no luck. All it seems they sell anymore is the gel type, which the decarbonization thread says not to use.

Are there any places that you guys can think of were I could try to get some of this stuff? Are there any alternatives?

Much appreciated...

Greg
1986 Spree w/Taz 44mm BBK
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Where to find *regular* Drano?

Post by bradthreee »

Look for products that have Lye as a main ingredient. If I remember correctly last time I used something other than Draino.
red spree
Goped
Goped

Post by red spree »

i got mine at the local dollar store it was lye and something else seemed to work well.. off brand for sure i just got a couple bottles.
Red 85 Spree 87 afo5e swap, 3.5in rear tire, 9.8 to 1 gears, 43mph gps

01 Elite S 72cc corsa, 24 mm oko, pg long pipe, 8.4 gears 62.2mph @11000 rpm

Black\Red 85 spree stock
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

dollar tree is better.
this is what i used(from dollar tree)

some, but not all dollar tree's will have this

you can order bulk boxes(12 per box) from dollartree.com if you dont have a local store.

*this member is not a spokesperson for dollar tree inc, nor is he licensed to endorse any of the above products.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

fightingplankton wrote:dollar tree is better.
this is what i used(from dollar tree)

*this member is not a spokesperson for dollar tree inc, nor is he licensed to endorse any of the above products.
:lol: :lol:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
gfisher99
Spree
Spree

Post by gfisher99 »

Thanks Plankton. I ended up going to the Dollar Tree here and got some of the "Mister Plumber". Used 5 of them mixed with enough water in a 5 gallon trash can to cover the large part of the muffler. Soaked it over night. Got a lot of the "black ink" to come out, then took it to the hose and ran water thru it until it ran clean. When I got the exhaust, I could blow into it, but it was hard. It is now much free-er. :thumbsup:

Like someone else on here, I have the rectangular shaped Spree exhaust, and its impossible to get all of the water out of it. I shook it for a good 30 minutes, until nothing more would come out. I can still hear sloshing inside, so I put it on the Spree and rode around for awhile. I could see water coming out when I put quite a load on it. Hopefully its all out now.

Spent a good amount of time sanding it down, as the paint was coming off, as well as some "rust nuggets" started to form. Never seen rust like that. Thing actually looks pretty cool all silver. Thinking about leaving it that way since I will never ride this in the rain, and its kept in my garage (it will never get wet). Otherwise, I will paint it black with some high heat paint...

Thanks again for the Dollar Tree suggestion.

Greg
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

that was my gf's '86 that had the rectangular pipe that i couldnt get the water out of(the only part of her bike i ever worked on).
i ended up doing exactly what you did, shook it for 30 min then rode for 30 min. i asked the guys if i should bake it in the oven...they said only if i wanted toxic fumes in the house.
about keeping it silver... you can soak it in hot linseed oil(as i've done w/ my aero 80 parts) and it will prevent rust(to an extent).
or just try to find a high temp clear coat.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
gfisher99
Spree
Spree

Post by gfisher99 »

Ah, cool, so it was you with the recto-pipe. I remember seeing the thread about putting it in the oven, pretty funny. My grill is one thing, my oven is another. I would really get killed for doing something with that. I have even seen people talk about using the dishwasher as a parts cleaner! Something about that just doesnt seem good to me. I typically eat off the stuff I put in there :)

Thanks again,
Greg
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

i used to use our old dishwasher for lots of other stuff... i mean...it's like soap, its "self-cleaning"
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
gfisher99
Spree
Spree

Post by gfisher99 »

I just know there would be no way for me to defend myself if the wife saw me use the dishwasher to clean parts from a scooter :nervous:
forrestking
Goped
Goped

Post by forrestking »

gfisher99 wrote:I just know there would be no way for me to defend myself if the wife saw me use the dishwasher to clean parts from a scooter :nervous:
The warden has to go out sometime...
besides, it's your dishwasher,too.
Marriage is about compromises, all these years you never put an exhaust in the dishwasher, why is 1 time such a big deal?
Or my favorite: I was working on some bearings and hubs and she didn't want the hubs in *her* freezer... we now have a garage fridge/freezer that holds beer, car parts and various cuts of beef waiting to be grilled.
aerorob
Elite
Elite

Post by aerorob »

Now that's a compromise!
2001 Elite SR48mm big bore, 90/90, keli vari, yws V8 30mm pipe, 8.4:1 gears 62 mph gps
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

forrestking wrote:... we now have a garage fridge/freezer that holds beer, car parts and various cuts of beef waiting to be grilled.
I am working on getting on of those as well, but was told the compromise is I have to make room for her car to fit in the garage first (when I am not working on the scooters of course :naughty: ).