Won't Run With Air Cleaner Buttoned UP

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

dagowopboy
Noob
Noob

Post by dagowopboy »

The puppy runs so rich, the slide is wet when I pull it out.

No cracks. I have tried moving the needle down to help, but to no avail. For al I know the main could have been drilled out, but I would have thought that the needle in the down position would have at least helped it of of idle a little - NOT

I guess Iwill start to shop eBay for a carb.
uspmale
Spree
Spree

Post by uspmale »

Make sure the gasket is good! A bad one can enrich the fuel circuit internally, believe it not. Most think it will cause lean condition: only if gap is external.
Also check float level. Must be very close or flooding condition can occur.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Contact uspmale about a carb via PM; he may be able to inspect/sort out the one you have.

1) Are you running a new (and not over-oiled) aircleaner?
2) How much "backpressure" are you getting on the exhaust? Wondering if something crawled in and died...
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
dagowopboy
Noob
Noob

Post by dagowopboy »

Okay I am back.

It is definitely the carb. Went out and bought a different one. Cleaned it and put it in.

New problem.

Starts and runs, bogs off the line and I have to have the idle screw all the way in to keep it idling. Once it moves off the line the mid and high range RPMs are good and it gets up to 33 MPH.

The air adjust screw has no effect which also supports my conclusion the idle jet is clogged.

So I went back to the carb and the idle jet is clogged. I have soaked the puppy in carb cleaner for three days now and cannot blow it out with the standard carb spray can. I have some 30 gauge wire and it bends when trying to go through from either side. It is clogged, thus the problem getting it to idle and the bad bog off the line.

I have looked all over and cannot find a spec for the idle jet diameter So I can do a drill job on it. Anyone know the diameter. I have a pocketful of jewelers drill bits, the smallest being a #81 which is .01375" (you can convert to mm). So is this too big? Hate to go back to my flooding problem.

By the way the old carb definitely had a drilled out idle jet much bigger than the carb I have now.

I will try some compressed air at work but I do not think it will prevail.

So guys?!!??