Starter Relay Clicks. PLEASE HELP!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Re: Starter Relay Clicks. PLEASE HELP!

Post by KillinSpree »

No more ether for me lol! Sorry if i sound confusing with my description here. Right when i got the spree it jumped great off my truck then the click. Went out a little latter in the day tried it again off my truck and it turned over but was sluggish then did the click. Thats when I replaced the connectors and wires to starter relay. Work great a first then got sluggish then the click. Now it does nothing but clicks
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

it still sounds like a battery issue to me. just because the battery is new doesnt mean it is fully charged. take the battery out and charge it over night on a .2 or .3 trickle charge and see how it does.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

odinxxix wrote:it still sounds like a battery issue to me.
That's what I would think except that he has tried it jumping with his truck battery too. Its hard to imagine that a normal Spree or Elite starter could kill a car battery. Then his truck battery would have to be really bad, and surely he would notice that - i.e. the truck would definitely not start with it in so bad a condition.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by KillinSpree »

Yea i was thinking that also. Im going to buy a voltage meter to measure the current coming from the battery, then ill charge it. Ill feel dumb if it turns out to be a battery issue lol
KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by KillinSpree »

I just exchanged old one for a new battery, put in acid and let sit on the battery for 1-2h till fully charged as to instructions, read 13.11v. Installed it on the spree and pulled in the cluth lever an click nothing! So i went and bought a voltage meter with + and - cables. With key off i put + cable on positive of battery and - cable on ground of starter, got 13.08v. Then i put the + cable on solid red wire and - on green/yellow wire of starter relay, read 13.08v also. With key on everything read 12.83v. Im getting power everywhere so * is going on here???
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

KillinSpree wrote:I just exchanged old one for a new battery, put in acid and let sit on the battery for 1-2h till fully charged as to instructions, read 13.11v. Installed it on the spree and pulled in the cluth lever an click nothing! So i went and bought a voltage meter with + and - cables. With key off i put + cable on positive of battery and - cable on ground of starter, got 13.08v. Then i put the + cable on solid red wire and - on green/yellow wire of starter relay, read 13.08v also. With key on everything read 12.83v. Im getting power everywhere so * is going on here???
First off there is no clutch lever on a Spree. That is the rear brake lever but the front brake will work for this too as long as one of them is on and the brake light is on. Check the fuse right at the positive terminal of the battery. OH, and the key has to be on and make sure the "Run/Stop" switch is in the run position. You are checking nothing with your test other than the battery and the grounds with no load which tells you nothing about when you are trying to crank the start. Put you meter across the battery terminals, should read about 13.8 volts. Turn the key on and there should be a slight drop as the tail light comes on. Now pull the brake lever and there should be another slight drop in voltage but you should still be above 13.5 volts. Now hit the starter button and tell us what happens.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by KillinSpree »

Brake lever my bad, used to taking about my streetbike. Im splicing the tape from my starter relay to my starter motor plugin. Has to be a melted or broke wire somewhere along the line of wiring.
KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by KillinSpree »

It was a loose or bad connection at the ground on the starter motor. Now time to get her running. Thanks guys