AUTO BYSTARTER

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

GSX
Noob
Noob

AUTO BYSTARTER

Post by GSX »

I posted earlier about a long crank hard start after sitting a few days, My guess is the auto-bystarter but the manual is not clear about what it does, Is it the choke system for the carb? Does it have to be replaced or is there a fix for it? The service manual is quite vague in its description of what the bystarter actually does.
e_racer1999
Noob
Noob

Post by e_racer1999 »

from what i've read it seems that it's like an electric choke... if i'm wrong someone else will say so ;)

if it's completely broken it probably will need replacing; otherwise you can try to rebuild it. there is an exploded view posted in the tech. help section.
85stroka
Elite
Elite

Post by 85stroka »

yup,those are electric chokes, we dump and run bigger carbs,or you can just kick and gas a fuel times to prime her.
d*** if knew about this place sooner, I would have kept all that craps,spree blocks and all _SHET!
gman75
Goped
Goped

Post by gman75 »

Ok, Im curious exactly how does this electric choke work?

I notice when I bench test it with 12V, the bystarter warms up and the needle slowly moves out (takes like 3-4 minutes) So does the needle plug up the carb? Is it plugging an air passage or fuel passage?
Scooter-less
scootngo
Noob
Noob

Post by scootngo »

It blocks a fuel pickup tube. As the air flows past a divertor and around the needle low pressure picks up the fuel.

The needle settles down into a brass tube, this tube has 4 holes near the top.

The tube sits in a cavity in the fuel bowl. This cavity is feed by a very tiny orifice from the main bowl. This orifice is very small and easily blocked if the carb ever dries out, as I found it.