Trying to get old spree to run--Help!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

since it is winter now i took out my batt and i go out there and kickstart it and it works fine. so i really dont need one.
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

hey No_Stopping_A_Spree were do u live at in mi?
No_Stopping_A_Spree
Spree
Spree

Post by No_Stopping_A_Spree »

Sebewaing
deathwish
Spree
Spree

Post by deathwish »

you dont need a batt... i ran mine without a battery for 3 months and i had no problems
Wanna kno how to keep an idiot busy for hours look below

Wanna kno how to keep an idiot busy for hours look above
Musicman823
BMX
BMX

Post by Musicman823 »

I tried to check the spark today--no spark. I turned the engine by hand since my starter is out and I have no kickstart. I should still be able to get a spark--right? I put the plug onto the casing old school, and nothing. The horn and turn signals work when I have it jumped, and I am going to do a servey of my electonics as soon as I research some more. Any thoughts?
uspmale
Spree
Spree

Post by uspmale »

Ya gotta have a good blue spark or it won't run. Start at the beginning at the pickup coil and work forward till you find where the juice stops. It 's probably in a wire, ground or cdi box, but they all have to be checked so your not just changing parts. Let us know what you find.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

your not really going to get spark by turning it by hand.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
Musicman823
BMX
BMX

Post by Musicman823 »

I haven't had a lot of time to work on the scoot, but I have managed to strip it down in order to do a complete "overhaul" or whatever they call it. I have tested most of the electrical wiring and it tests good. I am curious to know where I can get the proper gaskets for this bike--anybody know? Other than that, I still have to troubleshoot the starter and try for a spark.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

If you're tearing it all apart, the Honda dealership sells a gasket "kit" with most of the gaskets for the engine. Around $35.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Musicman823
BMX
BMX

Post by Musicman823 »

And what is the proper gauge for the wiring--in case I need to do some repairs--which I will--18?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Musicman823 wrote:And what is the proper gauge for the wiring--in case I need to do some repairs--which I will--18?
18 ga should be fine for most stuff. Heavier wire's required for starter, main battery and maybe headlight? Or you can double up the 18 ga on those runs.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Musicman823
BMX
BMX

Post by Musicman823 »

Noise, I am going to have to replace the neg bat cable, what gauge would you recomend for this--it looks like a 10 or 12, but I want to be sure, yeah, it's pretty messed up. Thanks, I'll let you know when I make progress.
Jfunkhsr
BMX
BMX

Post by Jfunkhsr »

should the engine turn easily by hand if the plug is in?? if it does that would mean no compression right?

my starter doesn't work either.. im going to go hit it with a hammer now -- starts on starter fluid and dies, carb has been cleaned a few times im about to do it again now, just got the oil flowing right and i stripped the bolt going to the drive gear because i started it with a drill so many times i have no air cleaner either , using a lawn mover foam cleaner inside a 1 1/4" plumbing pipe

not sure if i remember seeing an expander ring when i took the engine apart, gotta take it apart again after i clean the carb... check, recheck, check, recheck i can't even sleep i think i moped moped moped
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

WOW u need to chill out... d*** lol just take it a step at a time!!
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Jfunkhsr wrote:should the engine turn easily by hand if the plug is in?? if it does that would mean no compression right?

my starter doesn't work either.. im going to go hit it with a hammer now -- starts on starter fluid and dies, carb has been cleaned a few times im about to do it again now, just got the oil flowing right and i stripped the bolt going to the drive gear because i started it with a drill so many times i have no air cleaner either , using a lawn mover foam cleaner inside a 1 1/4" plumbing pipe

not sure if i remember seeing an expander ring when i took the engine apart, gotta take it apart again after i clean the carb... check, recheck, check, recheck i can't even sleep i think i moped moped moped
I'd get that drive nut replaced before you completely round it off and can't remove it either.

Tap with hammer, don't hit. Have you greased and WD-40's the innards on your starter bendix?

Gee, it won't run? Can't imagine that the ghetto-style intake is helping. Get a correct airbox and post back, contact Greg at uspmale@yahoo.com for the correct parts. Spree are sensitive to the airbox config.

Engine should turn freely 1/2 way, until the piston starts compressing, then stop or feel spongy. If you can easily rotate the thing 360, your rings are shot at minimum.
Admin, Hondaspree.net