Driven face tools?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Driven face tools?

Post by Kikwear »

According to the manual, you need a universal holder and a clutch spring compressor to service the clutch. In the past, I have used my air impact to inspect and remove the clutch but my tools are about 300 miles away. Are these the types of tools that I am going to be able to rent from AutoZone or Advance? Thank you.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

Impact gun makes life easy!
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

As I recall, autozone doesn't lend out impacts. Best bet would be to find someone you know locally and borrow it.

Oh and if the spree clutch is small enough, channel lock pliers might do the trick. They fit on my vento's vari, but not the clutch, not enough grab on the pliers. You would be looking for the biggest size channel locks available at lowe's, homedepot, etc.. for about $20.

Unfortunately thats what you'll need just to get the clutch off.. taking it apart, you'll need either a big vise with steady base and large crescent wrench or an impact with large enough socket.

Hope that helps.
(btw this is after experiance with my vento, should apply to spree as well) good luck.
projects galore :nerd:
bitteraspects
CB900F
CB900F

Post by bitteraspects »

indeed. get a small one like a makita or dewalt. and make sure its atleast 12v. and carry it in your seat bucket at all times
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

bitteraspects wrote:indeed. get a small one like a makita or dewalt. and make sure its atleast 12v. and carry it in your seat bucket at all times
If you ese the makita or dewalt impact and use the 3/3 adapter make sure to carryy a spare cause they tend to break with constant usage.The adapter that is.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

For the drive face, hold the nut under the fan to loosen that.

For the clutch, you can build a holder using 1/8" thick bar metal (about 1" by 3' long.) Cut the length in half and drill/bolt one end together (makes a V that you can fold up.) Drill the other ends and put in circular head bolts to hold the clutch face. Using the tool to hold the clutch, remove the nut. I need to build one of these and take a pic sometime.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Post by Kikwear »

I got the clutch off and there is really no material on the clutch shoes. No wonder it wouldn't move. I found a contact at LeoVince USA for those Motori Piaggio springs so those will be here soon. Should I go OE on the clutch shoes or are there aftermarket ones to look at?

The belt looks stock. I have read others getting ones at AutoZone, etc for considerably cheaper than the dealership. Also, I have the pulley mod done. Can someone explain how a 1" longer belt eliminates the 0-10mph lag?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I think that the longer belt helps keep the rear pulley halves closer together, so that you lose less to friction... my WAG. Try both.

I would definately recommend upgrading the clutch springs for the pulley mod. As for the shoes, not sure. I've wondered if the places that re-line HD truck brakes could reline the stock clutch shoes for less than the $35 that they cost new...
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products