Reversing Polarity- starter motor

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

niftyfifty
Goped
Goped

Reversing Polarity- starter motor

Post by niftyfifty »

i found the issue with why my scooter isnt starting, i replaced the starter motor from a different model honda with almost identical starter motor, i discovered the starter pinion wont engage because the starter motor is spining the oposite way.

how do i reverse the polarity, can i simply change the positive to ground and the ground to the positive battery connection?
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Post by Kikwear »

That's really bizzare that you have a polarity issue. The green wire with the loop is the ground that is between the starter and the case and the red wire is the hot wire that clips towards the top of the starter. If for whatever reason, these are hacked incorrectly, reversing them would reverse the polarity and thus the rotation of the starter gear.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

sounds like you have an elite starter which spins the opposite way. the problem is it grounds itself through its casing, therefor, it cannot be reversed without shorting out the battery. dont attemt to try to reverse it or you will burn up your wiring. just get the right starter for $20 on ebay.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
niftyfifty
Goped
Goped

Post by niftyfifty »

just to clarify, does a nq50m with a standard starter motor (GK8) spin clockwise or anti clock wise?
JF
BMX
BMX

Post by JF »

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that a standard GK8 starter turns clockwise(when looking at the gear). I gathered that from simple logic; If the rear wheel(when looking at it from the left side of the bike) turns counter-clockwise when in forward motion, then that means that the smaller reduction pinion gear turns clockwise, which also means that the crankshaft turns clockwise. And in order for the starter pinion to turn the crank in the right direction, it would have to turn counter-clockwise. So that means that the starter motor, being the first gear in the loop, would have to turn clockwise. I know this is mostly irrelevant info for the question, but I just felt like explaining how I figured it out. :D

JF
1978 Puch Free Spirit, a 1980 Honda NC50, a 1985 Honda Spree, and a 2005 Yamaha Zuma. Gotta love two-stroke power...:)
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Spree engine (GK8) spins CW at crankshaft. So should the starter, due to the gearing arrangement.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
niftyfifty
Goped
Goped

Post by niftyfifty »

thats great, mine is spining anti-clockwise so that explains why my starter pinion wouldn't engage, i'l take it to an auto electrician to see if the polarity can be reversed, otherwise i mite have to take the brushes out of my current starter motor and replace them on the old original starter motor.

it's all coming together now, it wont be long till it runs