Fuel Leak

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Mr Nick
Noob
Noob

Fuel Leak

Post by Mr Nick »

Trying to get my friends 1994 50cc running correctly. He told me there was a cracked fuel line and it was leaking, so he parked it and has not touched it for about 8 years!

I put fresh gas in and used the battery from my car... to my surprise it started up rather easily. Lots of smoke from old gas in the lines, but started none the less.

I was greeted with a fuel leak coming from under it, from the belt drive cover. Also notice gas leaking from the line that goes to the black plastic housing on top of the carb. I blocked that line temporarily to see if that was the only leak, and there is still a fuel leak somewhere (from underneath). I pulled the carb off to have a better look at the lines, and nothing appears to be dry rotted or cracked. Could the carb be flooding for some reason?

If I do a simple carb cleaning, is there anything else I should look for that is known to cause leaks on these? I will of course change the plug, clean air filter, and change the oil.

Also noticed there are 2 short lines from the carb that were not connected to anything. (Red circles) Both drip gas while handling the carb. Are these vent lines? Should they be attached to anything??? :?:

Thanks, and sorry for the blurry picture!

Nick
Attachments
Honda Carb.jpg
Honda Carb.jpg (54.99 KiB) Viewed 5349 times
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Fuel Leak

Post by Bear45-70 »

Those are both over flow vents lines which means your needle and seat are not seating, you float is either mal adjusted or not floating. In either case the carb comes off and apart.

Oh and it is a two stroke, oil injected, so make sure you use injector air cooled 2 stroke oil. If you disconnect the oil lines you have to make sure you don't have any air in them when you reassemble it.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Mr Nick
Noob
Noob

Post by Mr Nick »

10-4! Thanks
Mr Nick
Noob
Noob

Post by Mr Nick »

Carb has been thoroughly cleaned, and no more leaks! However now anything over idle and it dies. Starts right up again, no problem but I any bit of additional throttle and it sputters and dies.

Changing the adjustment screw seems to have less affect on it then it should. It actually ran better when the carb was leaking. This leads me to think it's running lean now, because before it ran better with too much gas...

Ideas? Maybe I'll just clean the carb again, maybe I missed something.

Side question: Took a while to fire the first time after I had the carb apart, does it take a while to fill the float? I'm used to cars, float fills up pretty quickly in them.
drizzle
Elite
Elite

Post by drizzle »

side question: yeah, that's most likely why.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

Mr Nick wrote:Carb has been thoroughly cleaned, and no more leaks! However now anything over idle and it dies. Starts right up again, no problem but I any bit of additional throttle and it sputters and dies.
If you do not have the airbox in place, it will do just that.....sputter and die.

The air box restricts the amount of air flow and get the air feul ratio closer to what you scooter needs to run.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Mr Nick
Noob
Noob

Post by Mr Nick »

Air box is in place. If I spray carb cleaner in the airbox intake (upper left corner) it idles faster and smoother. I can actually give it some throttle for a few seconds afterward too. Then it goes back down to a nervous idle.
Mr Nick
Noob
Noob

Post by Mr Nick »

Is this bad boy missing the oil pump control cable???

Pierce ramsay
Spree
Spree

Post by Pierce ramsay »

I had the same problem with my 2001 elite, what i did was just replaced the carb, after a while the carb doesnt seem to do much adjusting at all. once i got the new carb on she ran like a champ also, check you're fuel valve it may not be delivering enuf fuel so then it dies, clean out you're fuel lines (or replace!!) and put in a in-line fuel filter! mine now works like a champ best of luck
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

99.9 % of all carbs replace are good and just need proper cleaning. FYI the only easy adjustments on thes carbs is idle mixture and idle speed. Anything else requires disassembling of the carb and you need to know what your are doing.

Adjust the idle mixture screw for the highest RPM you can then adjust the idle spped for 1800 RPM or just fast enough that the whwll does not turn while on the stand. Engine also has to be warm (run at least 5 minutes) before you do the adjustments. If that does not fix it the carb need to come back aprt and the high speed circuit need a careful cleaning.

Oh and yes the oil pump is missing the cable and is not wired for full ouyput, which is a very bad thing
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Mr Nick
Noob
Noob

Post by Mr Nick »

Bear45-70 wrote:
Oh and yes the oil pump is missing the cable and is not wired for full ouyput, which is a very bad thing
My friend is the original owner of this, and he never messed with it. No clue what happened to the cable. Does it need a cable or can I 'wire it for full output' as you stated?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Yes You can wire it to full output, but read the manual to see where full output is at before you do it.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

If your Elite is an Elite 50P, the following would apply:
The restricted version of the 94-up Elites came with an oil pump with a different part number than the non-restricted version, and no cable to actuate the oil pump.

Guys have modified their Elite 50P's with big bores etc, and used the oil pump with a cable added or wired wide open. Here's a link to 'burnt toasts' build. http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... 16&t=14941