Carburetor Heat Insulator???

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jhoodwink
Noob
Noob

Carburetor Heat Insulator???

Post by Jhoodwink »

Well I finally got my professionally cleaned and adjust carburetor from ebay. Now I notice on the parts diagram for the carburetor, that there is a little piece that goes b/w the intake and the carburetor that is called a heat insulator. I do not have this piece. Can I run it with out it? (Probably not smart, I'm sure)

If not does anyone have one they could part out with. I could pay you on Paypal for it and shipping. Just send me an email with the total cost and I can send you a money order or paypal payment! I'm dying to get this thing on the road!!

Also without a torque wrench on the spark plug, what should I do to tighten it. Hand tight, then another half turn with a ratchet. I always feel like I'm gonna strip the threads out.

Thanks!
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Call drichardson@core.com, or check ebay. You need the insulator.

If I were you, I'd consider running an inline filter to your new carb. How's the tank?

You're correct on the tightening spec as long as it is a brand new plug. This give the proper washer squish. Otherwise you need to measure to get the right torque.

Anyone serious about doing their own work on engines (esp. aluminum ones) should at least have a 3/8" torque wrench, for 10-100 ft/lbs. If you're going to work on scooters, you'll want an in/lbs wrench, from 10 - 150 in/lbs, as well. The ft/lb wrench is good for plugs and large bolts, but the head bolts are under 10 ft/lb, requiring yet another wrench.

If you're worried about stripping bolts, get a stubby 3/8" drive wrench or use a 1/4" drive, which are always stubby. You won't easily overtorque with those.

If you have trouble justifying the expense, borrow. If you can't borrow, try calling your local shop and pricing out a plug swap. That $60 clicker wrench might seem more worthwhile.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

Paul is your best bet for the insulator. drichardson@core.com
Yes, you do need it.
Noiseguy is absolutely right on the plug. Get a torque wrench, even a cheap one is better than none. There are a lot of torque settings you'll need it for on the Spree. If you always set the torque, you won't be left wondering if it was correctly done.
Scoot safely
Jhoodwink
Noob
Noob

Inline Filter

Post by Jhoodwink »

The tank looks pretty clean, the little filter that goes up into the tank. Seems to be stuck in there though. I took off the gas cap and tried to lightly tap it out of the bottom of the tank and I can't get it out. I did run a briggs and stratton clear inline filter(looks like a coffee canister) b/w the tank and the carb. The only thing I wasn't sure about with that was I noticed on the package for the filter it says for use on mowers with a fuel pump. It filters to 30 microns so i wasn't sure since the spree doesn't have a fuel pump, if it would have enough suction to pull a sufficient amout of gas through the filter to keep up with the engine. I guess I'll try it once I can find that heat insulator. I emailed drichardson@core.com, just waiting to see if he has one to spare. No one on ebay seems to have one.

Thanks again for your help!
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

The 'coffee canister' filter will work fine. The Spree is gravity fed and will push through the filter very easily. Can't imagine why Honda didn't install one as OEM.
I'm sure Paul will get back to you soon the the heat shield. I know he has got to have a bunch of them. If you've never gotten parts from Paul, don't worry, he's very reliable and honest.
Scoot safely
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

yeah he is, i can vouch for that.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

My in tank filter is stuck too. My tank was rusty, and the filter was so clogged with rust that it wouldn't flow fuel. Cleaning the tank, filter in place, seems to have cleaned out the filter as well. Never did get it unstuck though. If it flows fuel, leave it alone, if not then get a new one (are these available?) and tear out the old one.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

im lucky, i have a motorsports dealership near my house that has everything for sprees.
Jhoodwink
Noob
Noob

Parts From Paul

Post by Jhoodwink »

Hey well you guys were right. Paul had the heat insulator and cheap too!

I got a fuel strainer, a battery cover, and the heat insulator for $11.00 plus shipping! I think this guy must have just about everything!

He replys really quick to your emails and seems very friendly! I will defiinetly be doing business with him again!!

Thanks for the recommendation!

James :lol:
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

I just put in an order myself and copied your forum message and sent it along. I'm sure he likes to hear a little praise once in a while.
Scoot safely