Honda Elite 80 Cold Start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

chihuahuamaster
Noob
Noob

Honda Elite 80 Cold Start

Post by chihuahuamaster »

Good morning.

I am having trouble keeping my wife's 1986 Honda Elite 80 started and running when it started from a cold start.

Once it is started, it will run for about 10 seconds then die and keep doing this repeatedly until it warms up.

When I first start it, I simply give it plenty of gas and take off quickly and it will run like a champ for the entire day. After being driven down the road a ways, it warms up and the problem goes away. The idle has been turned up on it, but this does not help. My wife seems to have issues with doing what I do because she is an inexperienced rider and can't seem to keep revving it like I do to keep it going. I would like to make it comfortable for her to use.

I have investigated the problem for about 1.5 hours on the net, but have not quite come to the conclusion yet. However, it does seem to be fuel related/carb/choke related.

There is one suggestion that says it is a problem with the automatic choke, and that is where I am leaning right now. The fix is to turn the automatic choke into a manual choke with a butterfly.

I do not know how to do this, but can learn if it is reasonable to assume that this is the problem.

Does anybody have any experience with these Honda scooters and cold starts. I have read this is a common problem, but I would like to narrow down the solution before I start to work on the bike. Thanks for the help.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Honda Elite 80 Cold Start

Post by Bear45-70 »

The vacuum/heat controlled bystarter is bad. This is strange setup with a heat controlled vacuum valve mounted on the head with several hoses running to the carb.

I replaced mine with a manual valve. Works great and is very simple to do. See here for info.

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =3&t=16059
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
chihuahuamaster
Noob
Noob

Is this the same thing as the automatic choke?

I was told on another forum just a while ago by somebody who replaced the automatic choke that as soon as they did the replacement, all problems were fixed.

I hope this is the same thing because if not, I will have to buy two different parts and fix it by trial and error.

Where is a good place to buy parts online for the Elite 80? Thanks for your help.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

OOPS! Your Elite will have a different bystarter than my Aero. Yours is electric. You can remove it and check it. Here is the service manual.

http://cashville.net./sites/default/fil ... Manual.pdf

You might check with your local Honda dealer for a bystarter. Online is rarely cheaper unless it is used and then you are buying a pig in a poke. Besides most of the new ones online are cheap Chinese knock offs and are junk. It's not cheaper to buy several before you get one to work.

The part number is 16046-GE1-772 for the VALVE SET, STARTER and it ain't cheap at $96.89. Ouch!
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
chihuahuamaster
Noob
Noob

Wow, that sounds pretty high for a bystarter/automatic choke.

Thanks for helping me diagnose the problem. I am going to keep searching around for something cheaper, as I am told the part I need to replace has two small wires and attaches to the top of the Carb and is only $35.

The part has a wax like substance that deteriorates every few years and needs replacement. Are we talking about the same part?

I emailed a scooter repair shop and they have indeed confirmed that the bystarter is the problem as you have stated. However, I am waiting for them to tell me where they purchased the new part. They told me they bought it for $35 dollars over the internet, but as you have said, I would probably rather go for an OEM part as long as it is not $96.

Thanks for your help, and if you find a place where I can get a bystarter for a 1986 Honda Elite 80 a little cheaper, please let me know.
Atis
BMX
BMX

Post by Atis »

This is a topic of heated debate with most people siding with OEM being the only prudent way to go. I will go on record as being someone who did buy a so called Chinese clone part from from an E-bay seller. It was new not used and came in an unlabeled white box (definetly not OEM), cost me about $30 with shipping, fit perfectly without any modification (mechanically or wires) and has worked flawlessly since I installed it about 2-1/2 years ago. Sorry I have no idea who the seller was and I'm not going to suggest one I just wanted to suggest an option to OEM.
chihuahuamaster
Noob
Noob

Thanks BMX. I have now found the seller that you mentioned and it is substantially cheaper. I found the carb to be loose on the mounting plate today so I tightened down; however, if I am still having the same problem tomorrow morning, I will go ahead and order the part.

Regards