1986 Elite ch 150 not running

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jasonic
BMX
BMX

1986 Elite ch 150 not running

Post by Jasonic »

Hello , I have a 1986 Honda Elite, it has been sitting on the side of a house for at least 5 years without running. A new battery was installed and the starter turned the engine but no combustion, anyways 1 hour later I bought a NEW spark PLUG , with STARTER Fluid Spray , there is oil in the engine and water/green coolant inside , I took the BOTTOM half of the carb off and checked for dirty or if the JETS were clogged, nothing looked wrong. so i began

With the NEW SPARK PLUG and STARTER Fluid SPray it started for 4 seconds and then shuts OFF!! So i was like ok lets do that again, I pulsed shots of starter spray in every 3-4 seconds to keep it at idle for about 30 seconds until i stopped.

Is this a fuel problem ? or is the carb bad ? There is plenty of spark but the thing wont keep running.

1986 Elite ch150 wont idle unless starter fluid spray is assisting. Please help.

I think fuel filter or something

I did a video(55 seconds) of this on my phone i will upload this and make a link to show.
nacree
Spree
Spree

Re: 1986 Elite ch 150 not running

Post by nacree »

There is a vacuum petcock under the gas tank- it may be bad. There should be a vacuum hose connected from the petcock to the vacuum port on the manifold the carb is mounted to- check to make sure it is connected.

One way to test the vacuum petcock is remove the gas line from the carb and apply vacuum to vac. line to the petcock.; gas should flow from the gas line when vacuum is applied. Worst case you can apply suction with your mouth- not the most fun thing to do but it works, and see if fuel flows. If not you need to clean or replace the vacuum petcock.

Let us know how it goes,

-Nathan
Jasonic
BMX
BMX

Post by Jasonic »

ohh i forgot to say ... I know about the petcock , gas vaccum pump thingy , I always check the small vaccum line and put my mouth on it and i did get a good FLOW .... that is not the problem ...I empty the FLOAT, turn it over a few times , GAS FLOW into the CARB is fine... I think the CARB adjustment or something else ... I am loading the video now
Jasonic
BMX
BMX

Post by Jasonic »

video ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9tqu5NeD2I

... There is gas FLOWing in : so vaccum line that sucks to make the gas line flow works .... if i keep spraying the Starter fuild every 2-3 seconds it will keep running , and idle and idle .... but when i stop spraying it will stop after 2 seconds like in the video.

is this a CARB problem or compression problem ?? ... this carb i am unsure on how to adjust
Smooooth
BMX
BMX

Post by Smooooth »

Chapter 4 of the Service Manual will be a big help to you.

I to have said that I have cleaned my Carb only to realize that I had not.

Also please check the functionality of the 'Bystarter'

My next step is to remove the plug that covers the Pilot Screw, remove it, and clean that area. I plan on soaking the entire body, with all the jets removed, in a parts cleaner bath for at least a day or 2. I am still not completely happy with the vacuum piston and need to do some more cleaning and polishing.

I just picked up mine, a 1985, and although it runs, it doesn't run as well at it should. Can only hit 55, stumbles just a little bit at times, searches for idle, 'Bystarter' may be the wrong one (new one on order), etc. etc.etc.

Now that you know the engine will run, kinda, and that you have fuel flow I would re-attach the air cleaner. The intake does need some air restriction.

Enjoy and Have Fun!!!!!

Stephen
85 Elite Deluxe - Nassau Blue Metallic - Wife's
86 Spree Special - Shasta White/Lollipop Green - For my wife, originally
74 CT70 K3 - Candy Ruby Red - 'Mutt' - In progress
72 CT70 K1 - Candy Ruby Red - 'Factory Flaw' - Back Burner
Jasonic
BMX
BMX

Post by Jasonic »

i will try that .... 100% taking the carb apart and soaking in a cleaner , and adding the air box back on there . a few times i would cover it with my fingers to limit some air .... but i am happy to know it does and will run.... but my bro and what you last said it seems like a carb problem , maybe the fuel is not getting past carb fast enough.

I will try it out soon.

Thank you very much
Smooooth
BMX
BMX

Post by Smooooth »

Just in case you need it - Service Manual:

http://www.hondaspree.net/other/Elite_C ... _85-86.pdf

Stephen
85 Elite Deluxe - Nassau Blue Metallic - Wife's
86 Spree Special - Shasta White/Lollipop Green - For my wife, originally
74 CT70 K3 - Candy Ruby Red - 'Mutt' - In progress
72 CT70 K1 - Candy Ruby Red - 'Factory Flaw' - Back Burner
Jasonic
BMX
BMX

Post by Jasonic »

I forgot to say ... THE intake boot has severe CRACKS in it , its almost broken in half . I should have said this at the time i posted i said i cleaned the carb.

The main vacuum line goes to the top of the carb hits a T shape thingy and 4more inches of the vacuum line then goes right into the intake BOOT , whee i believe most of the VACUUM is created right? So if there is a major CRACK in the intake rubber boot that will greatly effect the vacuum line that sucks to pull gas into the carb.

... When i tested to see if the Petcock/gas pump works , I just pulled the vacuum line sucked with mouth and seen gas flowing out thinking ok that pump/petcock works but didnt really consider if vacuum from a bust intake boot was pulling.

Can I add silicon around all over it until i can replace that part? Should I just MAKE my own Rubber boot from a HOSE same size and tap in the vacuum line ? (THIS last part I just thought of off the top of my silly head)

Thanks a lot ... posting here and advice makes me remember/think more ... and i appreciate the manual!
nacree
Spree
Spree

Post by nacree »

Jasonic wrote:I forgot to say ... THE intake boot has severe CRACKS in it , its almost broken in half . I should have said this at the time i posted i said i cleaned the carb.

The main vacuum line goes to the top of the carb hits a T shape thingy and 4more inches of the vacuum line then goes right into the intake BOOT , whee i believe most of the VACUUM is created right? So if there is a major CRACK in the intake rubber boot that will greatly effect the vacuum line that sucks to pull gas into the carb.

... When i tested to see if the Petcock/gas pump works , I just pulled the vacuum line sucked with mouth and seen gas flowing out thinking ok that pump/petcock works but didnt really consider if vacuum from a bust intake boot was pulling.

Can I add silicon around all over it until i can replace that part? Should I just MAKE my own Rubber boot from a HOSE same size and tap in the vacuum line ? (THIS last part I just thought of off the top of my silly head)

Thanks a lot ... posting here and advice makes me remember/think more ... and i appreciate the manual!
Yep the intake boot is where the vacuum for the petcock is sourced. You should just get a new boot- they are on ebay all of the time. You could try and silicone the cracks and you might get it to run but that would ultimately be a waste of time since the boot just needs to be replaced.

Running the motor under load with the torn boot will cause a severe lean condition that can lead to burned piston or exhaust valve. Best to just replace the boot.

Later,

Nathan
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

You'll need to replace that intake manifold(boot). Its not just getting vacuum for the petcock that is the issue - an intake leak like that will mean the mixture will be much too lean for the scooter to even start.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
Jasonic
BMX
BMX

Post by Jasonic »

Clivester wrote:You'll need to replace that intake manifold(boot). Its not just getting vacuum for the petcock that is the issue - an intake leak like that will mean the mixture will be much too lean for the scooter to even start.

YEAH , that is eactly what is happening , it does not start, after 3 times there might be slightly enough vacuum to make a dying start(wet the plug with a drop of gas) then dies out ... I was using starter fluid but that was like shooting gas into it and bypassing the vacuum and main gas line.

A NEW boot WILL BE ordered.

THANKS everyone .... after this NEW BOOT COMES , I hope that is/was the only problem with it. The starter seemed to make it idle just fine , minus the fact that the throttle did nothing. I might Silicon the BOOT and let it run for a while until the NEW BOOT COMES.

THANKS everyone ... I hope to POST a PICTURE of the beat 150 + 50cc running side by side, now me and the cool neighbor can ride together.

So in 5-8 days I hope my parts come in the mail ? haha no need to rush delivery. I will keep you posted! in a few days
Jasonic
BMX
BMX

Post by Jasonic »

sorry , its been longer then a week now ... but the intake BOOT is repaired , well cracks filled and we fixed that ..

got the idle low, and now the ch150 is on the freeway doing 63mph !

not bad ... needs color ... my scooter is the little black one. the green tank is the 150 Elite
Attachments
scoot.jpg
scoot.jpg (57.61 KiB) Viewed 9571 times
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80