this should be the last problem,bogs after about 70 yards

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Mike
Spree
Spree

this should be the last problem,bogs after about 70 yards

Post by Mike »

my problem is that it will run good for about 70 yards and then it will start to bog like its not getting enough gas. its a 1986 so i have the air screw at 1 1/2, the idle speed screw is at the highest idle speed in which the wheel doesnt move, and the throttle needle is on the 4th notch down... The vacuum line i put on is a really small one that probable came off of a motorized r/c car, could this have anything to do with it? AND i have the air box box tube sealed off good. size 65 main jet. it also seems like its burning to much oil because there is alot of white exhaust coming out.
ONCE THIS IS SOLVED ILL BE GOOD TO GO :D
'86 Black/red two-tone Honda Spree, pretty much stock.
Mike
Spree
Spree

Post by Mike »

O, and the bowl IS filling up with gas i checked
JF
BMX
BMX

Post by JF »

With all of that white smoke coming out, it might mean that either the exhaust is clogged up, the carb's running too rich(unlikely, but still a possibility), or there is too much fuel getting in the carb(flooding). You should check those things out first, then check for vacuum leaks around the intake manifold area by spraying a little starter fluid around the gaskets. If the engine RPM's go up or down when you do this, then you know that there is a vacuum leak somewhere there.

Sounds like everything else checks out good though, and no the smaller vacuum line shouldn't hurt it. To check the fuel flow, disconnect the fuel line from the carb, and turn over the engine for a few seconds. If it flows good then that shouldn't be the problem. However, if it looks like its a little slow on the flow, then you might want to consider getting a slightly larger diameter tube for the vacuum line and/or you might need to clean out that fuel valve really good...

Let us know what you discover after you test the things above out good.

Good luck,
JF
1978 Puch Free Spirit, a 1980 Honda NC50, a 1985 Honda Spree, and a 2005 Yamaha Zuma. Gotta love two-stroke power...:)
ryanmcfinney
Goped
Goped

Post by ryanmcfinney »

I have white smoke coming out too. From what i can tell its from running too rich and when the muffler gets hot it burns off the extra gas in the exhaust. Once it warms up here I am going to adjust the carb screws and see if that solves the problem...
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Sounds like your idle jet. I'm guessing that the Spree runs about 30-60 seconds, then shuts down as the bystarter pin drops into place. Mine does this every spring (and every spring I reclean the carb.)
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Mike
Spree
Spree

Post by Mike »

everything in the carb is clean