Clogged Idle Jet

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

dagowopboy
Noob
Noob

Post by dagowopboy »

Removable idle jet? HA! Hey I tried hot, I tried cold. I tried the plier method. It did not come out! I took my other carb and really went *. Yep I got it out -useless. Long time experience says that sometimes particularly old carbs, sometimes the fitted pieces fall out and sometimes thay ain't coming.

The officially position from the manufacturer on the idle jet is that it is fixed. In fact it is two pipes, the one that goes to the venturi and the bigger pipe that hangs in the bowl.

If someone has a "it never fails" way to get out that puppy without damage everytime, I would love to see it.
uspmale
Spree
Spree

IT NEVER FAILS

Post by uspmale »

Got a no fail fix, but I'm carefull to tell some of the guys, cause of the danger of fire.

With carb in vice, and dry.
Take a propane torch and lightly flame the aluminum area around the said jet tube. this will expan the aluminum allowing you to take off the tube with no trouble.
use a needle nose plyers and it will pop right off.
You will then be able to see the pin holes at the top that must be cleaned.
A LITTLE HEAT ON THESE GOES A LONG WAY.
TOO MUCH, AND YOU'LL MELT THE CARB. HOT ALUMINUM DO NOT TURN COLORS WHEN HEATED LIKE METAL, SO USE HEAT SPARINGLY!

Let me know how this works.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

You can try using the smallest string from a guitar set to clean these, again the risk is damaging the idle jet.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

haha mine always just come out... or use my jet puller
nh_scooter
BMX
BMX

Re: Clogged Idle Jet

Post by nh_scooter »

I know this thread has been dead for a long time, but i wanted to share my experience for anyone else like me scouring the net for assistance.

After an epic 2 day battle with my Aero 50's (NB50M) carburetor I have finally cleared all the jets. It is correct that the idle jet beside the main jet can be removed, and i dont see how it could be properly cleaned without doing so. I found a way that worked well for me and seems like it would be a reliable method without damaging the tube. Some more experienced people can let me know if I may have damaged the jets function. What i did was screw a (i will check the size when i get back to my shop) screw just a few turns, enough to grab on to the end of the tube. I then grabbed that with a pair of pliers and was able just pull the jet out. The only effect it had on the jet was a few screw thread marks at the bottom of the tube, but I am fairly confident that these will not effect the flow at all. Prior to using the screw, i tried grabbing the jet with pliers but was starting to ding the outside up quite a bit and was worried i would crimp it if i squeezed any harder. If you haven't dealt with carburetors much, like me, keep in mind that the jet you remove will not be the same inner diameter all the way through, near the top is a pinhole jet that you will need guitar string to poke out if it is really clogged up.
'83 Aero50
'83 Aero80
JOHNBUZZZ
BMX
BMX

Post by JOHNBUZZZ »

Thanks for bringing this to the present. I'm currently having this issue with my Elite E.

Carb is soaking...
Heni
Noob
Noob

Post by Heni »

Thank you uspmale, you legend. After years following carb cleaning youtube vids I realise I haven't been cleaning my Nifty50/Spree carb properly at all..ever. They never show the removal of the bystarter or pilot jets and as per uspmale's instructions they do come out and really should. Don't use brute force and ignorance on the pilot as I initially tried. I used a heat gun gently, about 10 sec and tried to yank and twist, it didn't work. I stuck the carb in the freezer for 30 mins. Yanked and twisted with needle nose pliers and cloth to protect jet. It didn't work. Let it get to room temp again and had another go with the heatgun on the base of the jet and was going to give up and it plopped out. One of life's miracles. Never knew there were so many tiny little holes to clean on that carb. With the pilot off it seems very blocked. If I cant poke what other options are there?
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I don't think the pilot jet has a straight hole all the way through it. Buy a "High E" guitar string and cut a piece of it about an inch and a half long and put the piece in a pin vice. Working from the bottom of the jet, spin the pin vice with your fingers while slowly pushing up. Again, you will not be able to completely push the wire all the way up through the jet, but you will, with patience and about five minutes of pushing and releasing, be able to clean the jet up to the point where a jog in the jet is located, very close to the top. The hole beyond the jog is much bigger and is usually not clogged. Then use compressed air from the top to finish cleaning out the jet. You will know when you have it clean when you can blow air through it. You will also feel when the guitar wire breaks through the clogged spot if you are working slowly. Expect it to take five minutes of pushing and spinning and releasing and pushing again.
Heni
Noob
Noob

Post by Heni »

Thanks vintagegarage. That worked. Yahoo. I used a bit of wire from a wire brush in a micro drill/spin vice and a heat gun as per another youtuber. It took a few heat ups and spins. It really helped seeing the photo on wikispreedia of the inside of the pilot jet. So clogged at the little passage I'm not sure how my Nifty50 started and ran so well....until I stopped and had to restart that is. No compressed air here just a bicycle pump. One problem solved. I'm starting to feel warm fuzzy feeling towards this bike. Do you put any additives in the fuel?
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

No, I don't use any fuel additives. I do use non-eth gasoline, but also, I ride each of my scooters at least once a month.