Clogged Idle Jet

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

dagowopboy
Noob
Noob

Clogged Idle Jet

Post by dagowopboy »

Hello,

I have my spree problem down to one thing. A clogged idle jet. I cannot squirt card cleaner throug it and cannot blow through it when I attach a small tube to the bowl draw pipe.

The smallest hing I have is 30 gauge wire and that bent when trying to poke through. I have soaked the dog for a coupe of days in Gunout Carb Cleaner then tried blowing t out - to no avail.

So any other ideas on how to unclog the puppy? Is there a small enough jewlers drill bit. The smallest I have found online is .01375" What is the diameter of the idle jet? I think Honda could have spet a few more pennies and installed a removeable idel jet!

Oh yeah I tried heating the pich up tube so I could pill it out and get a better look at the actual jet - NOT.

* Cecchini
Kikwear
Spree
Spree

Post by Kikwear »

Yeah, I don't think the jet is removeable. Tried that too.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

umm yea the idle jet comes out. i always take it out for a cleaning.
dagowopboy
Noob
Noob

Post by dagowopboy »

The idle jet is fixed. The main is removable. The mixture screw is obviously removable. But not the idle jet at least on the '86 deluxe.

I did get it unclogged though. I got out a very small long sewing needle, my dremel and a vernier caliper. I ground the thing down to .0135" for about 1/2" from the end and was then able to poke through the hole a little bit from both sides. At least enough that a spray can of carb cleaner could do the rest. No visible signs I made the hole bigger but when it is this small who knows

So now it sprays through. Tonite I will put the thing back together and give it a test ride.

Someone in the forum mentioned they have a clog problem every spring. With a jet this small I have to beleive a badly cloged idle passage is pretty common. Isn't there a beter carb cleaner to soak a carb in the good old gumout?

noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

You can soak it in a carb dip bucket, which is different than the spray carb cleaner.

I'm told you can remove the idle jet; it's pressed in place. Heating it would actually make it harder to remove. Try putting it in the freezer next time.

Sounds like you've gotten it cleared. I don't like to mechanically clean those jets though. A guitar string or a #80 drill bit will work in a pinch.

Best of luck.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
dagowopboy
Noob
Noob

Post by dagowopboy »

Thanks Noiseguy.

I don't like to go a pokin either, but when they are crusty hard you don't have a choice.

uspmale
Spree
Spree

Post by uspmale »

All spree carburetor, the idle jet must be removed to clean not only the jet hole but also the tiny air mix holes drilled cross-wise in the jet tube.
Noisyguy is right about "they are only press fit in place. All three jets are removable! To clean the carburetor properly, they must be removed. There are a handful of techniques to properly rebuild a Spree carburetor. Most of the techniques are learned with experience and trial and error.
Honda does not show or tell you the details involved in proper remanufacturing of your carburetor. Trust me on this one.
Do not even try to drill or punch out the idle circuit. Disaster will be the outcome.
After 20 years of running, sitting, storing, sleeping, you would be blocked up too. These carburetors need to be periodically flushed and cleaned. Tiny pieces of aluminum, rust, dirt and dried out fuel-oil mix just doesnt evaporate over the years. I've also seen small neoprene particles clogging the idle circuit, from old and tired fuel lines.
Spree owners--Please, do your self a favor and replace all fuel and vacuum line with a transparent fuel line like tygon. Its fuel resistant and requires no clamps. Will outlast factory line and vinyl 3 to 1. Available at most hobby shops were you live. take your old lines with you for a perfect match. All the RC racers use this fuel line.
While I'm on the subject, half way between the petcock and fuel inlet on the carburetor cut the hose and install an in-line transparent filter. After 20 years, the tank and filter get pretty waisted.
Hope this helps. Any questions, please feel free to ask, Greg
Mike
Spree
Spree

Post by Mike »

NEVER PUT ANYTHING TROUGH THE JET UNLESS YOU HAVE THE RIGHT SIZE WIRE. THE SLIGHTEST DAMAGE DONE TO THE JET COULD LEAD TO REPLACEMENT.
'86 Black/red two-tone Honda Spree, pretty much stock.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Preach on, brother!

I think some pics of all this are in order.

I've never needed to remove the idle jet to get it cleaned, but after talking with Greg about this I'm wondering if I shouldn't anyway, just to check the side ports.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

gman75
Goped
Goped

Post by gman75 »

YES! PLEASE! Can someone take photos?

I have cleaned my carb, all the orifices I can see, multiple times, but I am probably missing some areas and taking off all 3 jets would help. i know this would help my performance probs.

Where exactly is the idle jet? Is it the really thin tube right next to the main jet? Is the other jet in the bystarter area?

To remove them, do you push them from below or from above.

Help!

Greg
Scooter-less
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

all stock carbs have an idle "screw" and a fuel mix "screw" and only one main jet! aftermarket carbs will run a pilot jet and a main jet.
uspmale
Spree
Spree

Post by uspmale »

The three jets are:
1. Main-center one. actual jet is screwed into jet tube. Tube is friction fit into center of carb body. It's removal is from the top side. Tap from bottom-up.
2. Idle jet is next to main jet. Also friction fit. It's removal is from the bottom of the main body. Using a cloth covered pliers, gently twist and pull up at the same time. After a through cleaning, tap back into place, seating it as it was.
3.Cold start or by starter jet. This is the protruding brass jet off to the side of the bottom of the main body. Removal is by tapping it from the bottom, through the top side. After a thorough cleaning, tap the tube back in place in reverse order. Be sure to clean the tiny fill hole in the float bowl by- starter receiver tube.
Hope this helps, greg
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

first of all you are from wisconsin, and i may live on thre rock, remember that thing called resect! and i hate stupidity!!!
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

maddog wrote:first of all you are from wisconsin, and i may live on thre rock, remember that thing called resect! and i hate stupidity!!!
What the * is your problem, you forget your meds today?

Greg's right, there are three jets, though only one is removable by unscrewing it. I didn't realize that this was a point of contention.

I don't see anyone disrespecting you. As for comments about hometowns, you might keep in mind that most of the active members are from the Midwest and monitor your comments accordingly.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

uspmale
Spree
Spree

Post by uspmale »

MADDOG,
I've been reading your sarcasm, BS and trying to intimidate members for some time now.
Now, you stepped on the wrong toes!
When was the last time someone kicked your bully butt off that rock?
Your due.
The last time I was on the rock was in 1969, on my way to Nam.USMC sniper, DaNang S. Viet Nam 1969. Semper Fi.
Any time you want to go toe to toe, weather it be your hide or mechanical IQ. I'm up for it.
Shape up or ship out.
We don't want your kind here.
Blasting members won't get you any respect. It's earned! Grow up dude.
You just bit off more than you can chew, with the wrong guy.
If you would get your head out of your a--, you would probably be a decent guy.
We could really care less if your stroker or dio is faster than our Sprees.
We're not stuck with our Sprees, we chose them. Deal with it.
Thanks noiseguy for watching my back. The work and support you offer to this site is incredably appreciated. Keep up the good work.
So much for the rant. later, greg