less power after plug change

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

vette76
CB900F
CB900F

less power after plug change

Post by vette76 »

ok, i changed my spark plug and im not sure if its that or not because i didnt notice it before, but the spree is hard to start when its cold and when the engine has been running a while and is all warmed up it has less power. does anyone know why? oh, and not that it matters but im running an ngk plug and was pre-gapped.
Last edited by vette76 on Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Thoughts:

1) Is the crush washer in place on plug?
2) Did you torque the plug to spec? Loose plug=loss of compression.
3) Could be something unrelated. Check 1 & 2 first.

------------------------
Guys, I'm going to rant a bit about subject titles. This is not directed explicitly at you Vette76, though this post is an example.

Members of the forum need to remember that when you write the subject titles, other users are going to judge what the post is about by reading them. This website is first an active forum, but it is also a database of information. There are a lot of users that cruise this forum looking for information about problems they are having with their Spree. They may never post if they find the info they need, and that's fine by me. Answering the same question over and over again sucks.

With that in mind:
- Subjects should be spelled correctly within your ability. This aids in searching. I've been correcting spelling errors as I find them on taglines.

- Subjects should have enough info for the reader to determine what the post is about. For example, this post's subject should be something like "less power after plug change," not just "less power."

The worst possible example? "Help Me" taglines, with no other info. Help with what, is your house on fire? Abducted by aliens?

Rant off. Happy Spree-ing.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Subject line ranting

Post by Jerry »

Thanks, Noiseguy. ..........
I've found that a lot of times, when responding to a specific post, I fail to put anything in the subject line. It's not quite as critical as the original posting, but will try to remember it.
Scoot safely
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

ok, i changed the title.ok?lol. ive heard these plugs suck anyway.i installed it correctly.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Lost power

Post by Jerry »

NGK makes the best and actually THE only recommended plugs for these machines in addition to most two stroke snomobiles. Champion breaks down very quickly. Autolite is the same. I've certainly noticed a difference if NOT an NGK.
Now, since you 'installed it correctly', does it make a difference? Is the machine running properly now? By correctly, do you mean you set the gap to specs?
Scoot safely
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

test subject

Post by noiseguy »

Thanks guys.

I rarely mess with putting in new subjects after the original post, probably b/c I never read them and don't typically read the board in a "thread" format. The way this board nests, as long as the original subject is descriptive, the rest of the burden lies on the searcher to read.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

the plug was always installed correctly.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Was it warmer weather than it is now when it was running better?
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

yes,but i was told this is the plug to use for both hot and cold weather.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

The reason I asked is that my Spree seems to run slower/less top speed in the recent colder weather than in warm (3-4 MPH slower.) Not sure if this is typical. Jerry?
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

Absolutely......
The tranny oil is thicker and takes more power, belt is stiffer, bearings are tighter (lubricant).
AGAIN, that's why I always use snowmobile oil in the injection system. It stays at a more constant viscosity at lower temps.
I generally see a slight increase in speed when driven for five or more miles and all the bearings and oil has stabilized in temperature.
Scoot safely
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

but the problem is it starts off fast and once it WARMS up it loses speed.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

Starting off and running great for a while is a sign that the choke assembly is working properly. When warm, the choke turns off and the fuel is running leaner. Your symptoms indicate insufficient fuel when warm. Most probable is the main jet is clogging somewhat.
Also, check the compression cold and again when warm. Let us know what it is. A compression guage is easy to borrow from a friend or any auto parts store. If a store, generally a small deposit is all that is required. Auto zone lends by you buying it, using it and taking it back for a full refund. Pep Boys I THINK does the same thing. Call around if you don't want to buy one, just use it.
Scoot safely