87 spree wont start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

87 spree wont start

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

hey guys I got a 87 spree 50cc that Ive been riding daily for the last 4 months or so. I went out of town for about 9 days and came back and the spree wont start.. I am sure it was cold out most of the time.are there any tricks to getting it started again.. is turning over just doesnt sound like Its getting fuel.. not sure wont kick or electric start. any help would be great
B
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 87 spree wont start

Post by odinxxix »

wait, how do you know if its turning over if the kick or elec start wont work? or did i miss read? sounds though that you want to look at the kick mechanism. and charge the battery, mine was hard starting today, took off outer air box and sprayed some mix gas in it and she took off. but check at the petcock if you suspect a fuel issue.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

just sat for a few days in cold weather and usually takes a few minutes to start after a sit. but this one was longer than normal.. not quite sure what i need to do to help it start.. the kick start and electric start are working..
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Feral_Sparky
Goped
Goped

Post by Feral_Sparky »

My 87 Elite 50cc is a little tough to start in the morning when its cold. And I generally only get it running with the kick start. But once its running for a min and getting good fuel it runs great and will run forever.
1987 Honda Elite SE50
killerpancake
Spree
Spree

Post by killerpancake »

maybe the auto-bystarter(i think that's what honda calls it) is not working properly. maybe try unplugging it and see if it starts easier.
If it don't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

(Previous)
87 honda spree
85 honda spree

(Current)
88 yammy razz

(parts bike)
another 88 yammy razz
gfisher99
Spree
Spree

Post by gfisher99 »

killerpancake wrote:maybe the auto-bystarter(i think that's what honda calls it) is not working properly. maybe try unplugging it and see if it starts easier.
If you unplug it, it will be on choke perpetually.
1986 Spree w/Taz 44mm BBK
killerpancake
Spree
Spree

Post by killerpancake »

and that's why im here, because i work on cars not usually mopeds. but still could it be the auto bystarter?

(Previous)
87 honda spree
85 honda spree

(Current)
88 yammy razz

(parts bike)
another 88 yammy razz
gfisher99
Spree
Spree

Post by gfisher99 »

All good, Killer.. We all learn from each other.

In this case, it could be many things, but I doubt the bystarter as its "normal" position is "choke on". You can always test the bystarter by taking it out and connecting it directly to the battery and see if it gets warm and the needle moves a little after a good 5 to 10 minutes. Use a ruler to measure before and after, as the neddle does not move much.

I would ensure there is fuel in the carb by unscrewing the bowl drain a bit to see if fuel comes out. If there is fuel in the carb, ensure you are getting spark. Make the run switch is on :)

You can prime the engine by mixing a little pre-mix into a syringe or something that will allow you to put a few drops into the cylinder. If it fires on the prime, you know you have a fuel delivery issue. If thats the case, ensure the carb is clean and ensure the petcock is functioning properly.
1986 Spree w/Taz 44mm BBK
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

If your honda is cold when you try to start it, do not give it any throttle.

If your honda is warm when you try to start it, then you can open the throttle.

If it is really cold out, cover the two tiny inlet holes in the air box, to manually "choke" it while cranking it to start.

If it is still hard to start after that, pull the plug to make sure it is not soaked with gas.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

thanks guys will be taking into a warm space tonight to try to get her running.. been below freezing for days now and will try the manually choke and check the fuel and the plug.. even before this it was hesitant to start after sitting for the weekend hoping that a warm space and some love it will get running again.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
spewya
Spree
Spree

Post by spewya »

is it geeting spark . mabe your plug is bad
spree parts for sale

still learning alot ..thanks to all on this fourm

if you have a good spree jug ..pm me if you want to sell it
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

well shes back up and running. was loading it up to take to my buddies garage and figured I would try to push start it..I am sure I was a sight to behold running up and down my street with my scooter trying to get er going.. after about 5 mins of this I finally got a chug out of it with the electric starter said wHOOPIE. so made another run up the street and tried again and Ill be god damned it didnt start. thanks for all the insights and tips. this is exact reason why I love these old hondas so much. I will probably need to take her apart here at some point when I am not driving it everyday and do some serious maintenance.. Freezing temps dont treat my scoot so well.. my speedo cable stopped working my front brakes are not functioning all that well and she is louder that normal. but it runs so thats good
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Singo69

Post by Singo69 »

I normally dont tell customers this but if your scooter doesnt start after sitting awhile, the oil from your oil lines draines into your crank displacing the fuel that it needed to start the boost port.....

solution: lay the scooter on its right side for a whole min then pick it up real quick then start it right up....thats right start it cuz 9 times out of ten thats your problem!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbwink: :hi:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Uhh, I hate to break it to you, Rip, but you coulda saved a bunch of precious Caloric Energy by avoiding the Street Scamper thing. As far as I know, it's impossible to "push-start" these bass-ackwards transmissions. No matter how fast you make the rear wheel spin, the clutch has no reason to engage unless the impetus is coming via the belt from the engine. Your starting success was coincidental and the result of the Placebo Effect only. You might as well have burned some Ginseng while reciting the Hail Mary backwards.
Quoth Singo:
normally I dont tell customers this but if your scooter doesnt start after sitting awhile, the oil from your oil lines draines into your crank displacing the fuel that it needed to start the boost port...
(Emphasis added. - WM)
Uh... Whut? :confused: He goes on:
solution: lay the scooter on its right side for a whole min then pick it up real quick then start it right up....thats right start it cuz 9 times out of ten thats your problem!!!!!!!!!!!!
More Placebo Effect, methinks. Unless it's possible to cause the petcock to open a little by tilting it that far, which would replace the fuel evaporated out of the carb. I don't think the fuel "starts the boost port" very much on mine. :wink: It might serve to recalibrate the Rhemastram, however.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
killerpancake
Spree
Spree

Post by killerpancake »

i was going to say i didn't think you could start anything with a centrifugal clutch.

(Previous)
87 honda spree
85 honda spree

(Current)
88 yammy razz

(parts bike)
another 88 yammy razz