Success! It was a clogged idle jet!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

gman75
Goped
Goped

Success! It was a clogged idle jet!

Post by gman75 »

My fingers are still cold from my ride....
:lol: :lol: My spree hit 27 mph tonight! It went 30 downhill!, with no startup or bogging or backfire.

It was a clogged idle jetl I actually tried to remove it with pliers and pulled to hard and ended up breaking the idle jet tube with a piece left inside. Doh! Luckily I had another spare carb and not wanting to make the same mistake, I removed ALL gaskets from the carb and put it in a toaster oven at 300 degrees for 15 minutes. The aluminum expands faster than the brass tubes, and walah, the idle jet was easy to remove. I unclogged the idle jet by soaking in bath of carb cleaner and using wire. Then I spent all day drilling out the old piece of idle jet.

I cannot BELIEVE how small the hole is for the idle jet. This would be the first thing I look at from now on for carb probs.

Thanks for the tips Greg and Noiseguy on the previous posts they really helped :)
Scooter-less
JF
BMX
BMX

Post by JF »

Yea those clogged idle jets cause a lot more problems than you'd think, but I'm glad that you got it running good. :) And a top speed of 27-30mph is a good platform to start on if you go about doing any modifications or upgrades to the engine.

Well I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you have a great time riding your spree(I know I do :D ).

Best regards,
JF
1978 Puch Free Spirit, a 1980 Honda NC50, a 1985 Honda Spree, and a 2005 Yamaha Zuma. Gotta love two-stroke power...:)
gman75
Goped
Goped

Post by gman75 »

Thanks man for your help too, JF. I've learned a lot of stuff on this board from guys like you.

Now I hope the spree will stay in shape. :roll: They seem so finicky, fine one day and not the next. I think the trick is to turn it on every couple of days to prevent clogging etc.
Scooter-less