Synthetic 2-stroke vs. standard 2-stroke.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

frog357
BMX
BMX

Synthetic 2-stroke vs. standard 2-stroke.

Post by frog357 »

What is your opinion on using synthetic oil versus using standard 2-stroke oil?

I found a part # for honda brand, I've heard some swear by synthetic, what's your story?

Honda.ca Synthetic 2-stroke Oil

I found a good discussion on this here.

A thread on this topic was found here.
FreddyT
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

For as little as I drive, I'm sticking with regular oil. Synthetic helps reduce carbon buildup, apparently. It's too late for that kind of preventative maintanance on this one, with over 3000 miles of crud in the exhaust.
frog357
BMX
BMX

Post by frog357 »

Does anyone know where to get the stuff online? Any good stores are an hour drive from here. I just cleaned the exhaust and looking to keep this thing running for a while. It has 2500 miles.
FreddyT
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Synthetic vs Standard oil

Post by Jerry »

I always use snowmobile oil. Synthetic may be better as far as carbon buildup but I've not had any such problems.
Being from Michigan, a lot of snowmobile dealers are in this area so it's easy for me to get. A gallon lasts me 2 weeks (four Sprees) and costs around $14, sometimes less if I can get it on sale. The local WalMart and Meijer stores carry it too.
Stay away from the local gas station two stroke brands. Even Lawn Boy brand is way too thick. It's made for mixing not injection. You want something that retains a constant viscosity with changing temperature.
Scoot safely
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

What about boat (outboard) oil? This comes in quarts and is available at places like WalMart.

A gallon every two weeks? That's a lot of miles on the fleet!
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

frog357 wrote:I just cleaned the exhaust and looking to keep this thing running for a while. It has 2500 miles.
what method did you use to clean the exhaust? ive been looking for a fairly easy way to clean it without an oxy torch
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Exhaust and oil

Post by Jerry »

I think I would stay away from marine oils. They have hardly any ash content due to environmental regulations. There again, marine oil is made for mixing not injection. Therefore higher viscosity.

Exhaust is easy to clean with a cutoff wheel on a die grinder. Simply cut the side out and manually clean with rotary brush or sandblaster. Simple to reassemble by brazing. A lot of local garages or muffler shops would braze back together for a minor fee if you don't have oxy torch.
Scoot safely
Jim
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jim »

anyone know if i could soak it in a solvent for a day or so, then drain it out/air compress seal one end to get all of the solvent out? safe?
86 Honda Spree - Lawn Ornament
83 Suzuki GS450E - Sold
92 Honda CBR600 F2 - Current Daily driver
Spree Repair Guide
frog357
BMX
BMX

Post by frog357 »

Jim,
This is what I did, sorry it took so long to reply, we used a product called Hydraseal or Hydroseal it cost about $85 a gallon, it's a Decarbonizer, I found a few links of this technique. We soaked mine for 1 day and rinsed it out for an hour with water. It puffed white smoke for a few and it sounded cleaner right away.

http://www.decarbonizer.com/decarbonizer.htm

We bought ours at the local auto parts store.
FreddyT