How To Replace Throttle Cable

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ofarevaluti0n
Noob
Noob

How To Replace Throttle Cable

Post by ofarevaluti0n »

I was hoping someone could walk me through the steps on how to replace a throttle cable. I ride a 1984 spree and I am not sure where to start

Thanks in advance
fizzle
BMX
BMX

Post by fizzle »

i don't know if i can walk you through it, but its all about unscrewing the two screws on the bottom of the kill switch - to free the twist throttle. and unscrewing the cap off the carburator - the part that the cable goes into.
i'm under the impression that the cap and the cable come apart on the early sprees - such as an 84, but i'm not sure - you should order a new one first.
so as you can follow the taking apart with instant putting back together - can't forget whats right infront of you.
but yeah i think thats really easy - but i'm sure if i'm wrong someone else will give you better instructions.
good luck
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

First, download the factory service manual from the tech docs. There's probably a procedure in there.

Replacing the throttle cable requires removing a lot of the bodywork. Horn cover, floorpan, sidecovers, and probably the bottom shroud of the headlight assembly.

As per the previous post, you have to split the throttle assembly, remove the old cable and put in the new one. Route the new where the old one was, just follow its routing through the frame. This step is important to do right if you don't want the cable to bind up, or not reach the carb.

On the carb end, unscrew the top of the carb to remove the cap and carb slide. There's a barrel end on the cable that goes into the carb slide.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Musicman823
BMX
BMX

Post by Musicman823 »

I'm going to have to do this s*** too