won't start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Ned
Noob
Noob

won't start

Post by Ned »

I'm actually working on a Yamaha Razz right now instead of my spree, but I was hoping you spree guys could help me out anyway. I got my razz from a friend, and he only said that it didn't run. I bought a new spark plug and air filter for it and I tried to start it up...nothing. I pulled the plug, and it has a nice blue spark, and the timing seems correct. I tried to start it again...nothing. I cleaned the carburetor yesterday and still no response. I even tried some ether and there is no sign of life.

When I pull the plug it is oil fouled, so I know its getting fuel. Compression seems okay, but I'm not really sure how much wear the rings have. I pulled off the muffler and blew threw it with an airhose, and it seemed clear. I put everything back together and it still won't start. The only respone I get is a pop out the exhaust every once in awhile. Unlike my spree, the razz has a manual choke; I don't have to worry about those crazy bystarters. I'm getting a little frustrated right now, and I'm not sure what to try next. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
fizzle
BMX
BMX

Post by fizzle »

because i'm just a kid,
and love ether - i find that a great way to check if you cleaned the carb enough, and if there is spark is to spray it with some starting fluid, and see if it will run.
in my expirence with bikes, its always the carb - always.
every time hole goes somewhere - make sure its clear.
stay safe
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

oil foulded meaning oil is getting there so you dont know if your getting gas! so maby your not getting gas pull the gas line of from the carb and see if its getting gas, also is it a new tank of gas? and maby you have a low comprpession...
Ned
Noob
Noob

Post by Ned »

Okay, here's the story on the Razz. The other day I tried starting it again without any luck. The only thing I hadn't done was a compression check. I had to pull the engine away from the frame to do get my tester in there. It registered only 30psi; the minimum is 54 for the Razz. I furiously tore the engine apart to find that my piston and cylinder were severely scored. I think that some idiot ran it out of oil and the engine got too hot and burned up the rings and cut chunks out of the piston. Note to self: keep the oil tank full.

Anyway, I honed the cylinder, and luckily I will still be able to reuse it. I ordered a new piston, rings, gaskets, wrist pin and bearing to rebuild the top end. I've rebuild two Spree engines before so I should be able to have the Razz back together in a few hours this weekend. I'll keep my fingers crossed that there isn't a problem with the oil pump or carburetor.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

see noiseguy, i do help! so.