Help no start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

daniel321
Noob
Noob

Help no start

Post by daniel321 »

Hello all! Just joined the forum to ask a question. I purchased 1984 honda spree that is not running. It wants to go but it is not getting fuel or oil. Is there some form of signal that is supposed to be sent out in order to tell the bike give me oil/fuel? I can see oil half way through the oil line to the carb and no gas is running down the tube to the carb. I'm not crazy mechanical so I apologize if this makes no sense. Thanks in advance for the help! :coolcruise:
devenex
Elite
Elite

Re: Help no start

Post by devenex »

The oil line should have oil all the way throughout, so disconnect and bleed the air out if that is not the case. If your concerned about the oil pump not working then put some premix in the tank until you are convinced its working.

Your fuel problem sounds like the tank's petcock is jammed up and/or the fuel strainer is clogged. There should be two hoses coming out from under the tank, one going to the carb and one going to the intake manifold. Disconnect both and place the one going to the carb into a bottle/jar/whatever then suck on the other hose. Fuel should start to flow though the other line into the battle/jar/whatever.

If it doesn't flow then you'll need to remove the petcock and fuel strainer to clean them (make sure not to spill any fuel in the tank everywhere upon removal).
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
daniel321
Noob
Noob

Post by daniel321 »

Thanks for the help! Any good tips on bleeding the oil line? also I did replace the little filter type thing under the tank that the two hoses go to so i'm pretty sure that isnt clogged but maybe I need to get the fuel flowing.
catsailor
Spree
Spree

Post by catsailor »

just disconnect lower line from intake manifold and suck on it. that should get the fuel flowing. To check if you are getting fuel after that, crack the screw on the carb bowl, and see if any drips out. I would also imagine that your air bubbles in oil line will go away once the engine is running.
1984 Spree With Taz BBK and Gears
1988 Seawind 24 Catamaran
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

OK after reading closer I see that the air bubble is between the pump and the carb. I would just run a partial tank of premix through to let the engine do the work for you.

Did you make sure the petcock opened when vacuum was applied to the bottom line? Since you replaced the strainer it seems the most likely problem is a petcock that is stuck closed. If you can't get it to open with vacuum applied to the lower line, then remove it and submerse it in gas overnight (or longer if needed).
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold