HELP PLEASE ( I am a newbie in need of help) Bogging out

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jsgoodie
Noob
Noob

HELP PLEASE ( I am a newbie in need of help) Bogging out

Post by jsgoodie »

I came across a 1987 Honda Spree And it seems to be in good condition Starts first kick, idle no problem, takes off but when I get to about 30km it starts to bog if you let the throttle off it it seems to idle fine and then slowly start getting the throttle going and it is fine( it seems like it is flooding out and when it catches up and burns extra gas off you have a throttle back). It is a 2 stroke that I am not use to (Not pre mixed). I did notice from reading the other post, things like opening the gas cap a little seems to help but I can tell that is not the issue. I changed the Plug, unseized the throttle cable, cleaned it up good changed all the gas. Still has problem. I did notice yesterday after riding I could see the normal smoke coming out the exhaust that you would expect to see from a 2 stroke and it ran a lot better. so my guess is the mixture of the oil and fuel but to me I took the hose of the carb like it said in some post, and the oil starts to DRIP a little, is this normal?? to me I do not see anything to adjust the mix on the actual oil pump. Like I said I am knew to the scooter world and any help would be great. To me it is like it is flooding with gas or the mix is off????? I am a newbie to scooters but not forums like this I have done some reading before I post so again thanks in advance for any help.
dun rite
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: HELP PLEASE ( I am a newbie in need of help) Bogging out

Post by dun rite »

Hello. possibly a dirty or degrading air filter not allowing enough air flow, bad fuel or oil?
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

dun rite makes a good point, did you replace or re-oil the filter?

Also make sure the snorkel that comes off the airbox is secured tightly to the carb.
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
extraslimcase
Noob
Noob

Post by extraslimcase »

Yeah, my new 86 aero was mighty bogged down until I changed the 2 stroke oil that had been sitting in the tank for god knows how long; I put in the 8 dollar a quart Honda stuff and there's no more bogging.
jsgoodie
Noob
Noob

Post by jsgoodie »

Thanks For the responses, First when I got the bike the Air filter was so deteriorated it just fell apart so i changed it with one that is not quite the right one but very close I live In Hamilton Ontario Canada, I am having a hard time finding parts or for that matter someone at the local Honda dealer that knows something about a 1987 nq50 with not much luck so if anyone knows where I can get good parts from I would greatly appreciate it. As for changing the oil I will try that as I have no idea how old it is. And another question what is the max speed I should be getting I can get it about 20 mph or 40km is that the norm??
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Heres a good list of online sellers, although I'm totally ignorant of their shipping policies for Canada.

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... f=2&t=8049
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
jsgoodie
Noob
Noob

Post by jsgoodie »

Thanks for the help