98 ELite SR wont start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

adiokid1188
BMX
BMX

98 ELite SR wont start

Post by adiokid1188 »

I'm back again. I can't believe the luck I have. I have an Elite SR with a 50mm bbk, aftermarket pipe, 100 main jet and stock carb. Punched out the extra tab in stock airbox to get the mixture right. Everything seemed great. Also just put on a new belt. I was riding it around tonight and all of a sudden it cut off. Didn't seem like a seize, only rode it for about 15 minutes. hardly any WOT. Now it wont start. I checked compression, good. Checked spark, good. Checked fuel to carb, good. What am I missing? and yes I was sure to hold the brake while kicking. I'm stumped.

thanks
-Dave
Racing Variator
Aftermarket pipe
stock carb
devenex
Elite
Elite

Re: 98 ELite SR wont start

Post by devenex »

You only need to hold the brake for electric start.

Since you have compression, spark and fuel getting to carb that means its probably either an air leak, plugged carb or the reeds are stuck or bent.

You could try obstructing the air intake while starting, that can help narrow down the possibilities.
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
adiokid1188
BMX
BMX

Post by adiokid1188 »

How do I check for bent reeds? and when you say vacuum leak, are you talking about the vacuum line that attaches to the carb? Should I just follow that and make sure there are no leaks? And to obstruct the airway, can I just stuff a towell into the airbox or what?

i'm kinda newbish. :sad:

thanks guys
-Dave
Racing Variator
Aftermarket pipe
stock carb
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

I said air leak, which is different from vacuum leak. Basically its setup to need a certain amount of airflow restriction in the intake side to balance with your jetting, but if there is a leak that allows more air in then this balance between airflow and jetting gets out of whack.

You can stuff a rag into the air holes on the airbox or you can disconnect the airbox and block the carb with your hand.

As for checking the reeds, to do that you have to remove them and visually check for any gaps between the metal reeds and the plastic housing. Easier to check a few other things (carb and airleak) before this.
adiokid1188
BMX
BMX

Post by adiokid1188 »

Nevermind, I had a feeling since I put on a taiwan bore... I pulled the top end and found this:
Attachments
Is this salvageable? One of the little clips that holds the pin through the piston came out and got stuck between the piston and the cylinder wall.. The cylinder doesn't look too bad, but this piston looks F*cked.
Is this salvageable? One of the little clips that holds the pin through the piston came out and got stuck between the piston and the cylinder wall.. The cylinder doesn't look too bad, but this piston looks F*cked.
Photo on 2011-06-11 at 15.25.jpg (74.02 KiB) Viewed 2377 times
Photo on 2011-06-11 at 15.24.jpg
Photo on 2011-06-11 at 15.24.jpg (76.44 KiB) Viewed 2377 times
-Dave
Racing Variator
Aftermarket pipe
stock carb
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Another victim of the evil circlip!

That piston is done, and this should have given you crap compression when you checked it.
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

Improper circlip installation will do that everytime.
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto