spree won't go past 15mph

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

maxr78
Noob
Noob

spree won't go past 15mph

Post by maxr78 »

Hello i'm new to the spree world. I'm restoring my first spree when I got it done it ran fine but when I took off it went 15mph downhill and would not pull me up back up the hill. So I had a parts bike that I took off the old clutch setup and swaped them abd it still does it. Please help.
Pygmaelion
Goped
Goped

Post by Pygmaelion »

So, what might cause a spree to only do 15?

1) Can't get the engine to "perform" due to carb issues.
You'll see it again and again on this forum... Clean your carb. You may have already done this a half dozen times, but once more through the process might just do the trick. A happy fuel system is more than half the battle on these bikes

2) Have you checked your scooter's underpants?
The Muffler is a fine place for soot, oil, and scum to build up, slowly choking off your bike's ability to exhale. A burnout procedure is available on the "Tech Docs" portion of this website. It did wonders for my bike, which wouldn't even get rolling under it's own power with all the gunk in the muffler.

3) Belts and Clutches
You may find that your rear clutch is a little sticky, or that your belt is worn oddly. This might cause the belt to stay "high" inside the rear pulley, and ride low on the front one. Pop open your belt casing cover, and take a peek in there for signs of wear. You might even pull off the rear clutch bell and clutch, and clean off the clutch pullies, making sure they move smoothly.

4) Final Drive Oil
If you have some, make sure it's filled to the right level. If you're not sure, you've probably got a pile of sludgy goo in that casing, which might be slowing you down/causing damage. If you've got none... well, you might want to consider getting some.

These are the easy places to start. If you give us a few clues about the characteristics of the ride (hard to start/revs up high/bogs down/ sounds unsteady/ smokes heavy/really loud) we might have more specific things to say.

Hope that gives you a place to start.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

i know your problem. your exoust pipe is clogged to cheack losten it and start it and it will be loud but if ut runns better then yea. i bet uts ur pipe... i know it!
maxr78
Noob
Noob

Post by maxr78 »

should I take the exhaust off or just loosen it?
maxr78
Noob
Noob

Post by maxr78 »

it was not the exhaust it was still slow.
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

air cleaner i am going with that
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
gman75
Goped
Goped

Post by gman75 »

I vote that its a dirty carb - make sure all 3 jets are clean, and you have a clean air filter in place properly buttoned up including the hole on top.
Scooter-less
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

check compression. also if the rings are worn you will lose speed.
jbarb
Spree
Spree

Post by jbarb »

gman75 wrote:I vote that its a dirty carb - make sure all 3 jets are clean, and you have a clean air filter in place properly buttoned up including the hole on top.
Hmmm, mine is missing that top bolt. I should probably plug that up
myhonda
Elite
Elite

Post by myhonda »

clean and tune the carb !!!!!!!!!