Kick Start Not Working...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Kick Start Not Working...

Post by Bear45-70 »

Chicago Ben wrote:What an absolute clown always looking for a battle
The incompetent has the stones to call me a clown. :jack: Just all the obozo followers, blinded by the light and not bright enough to feed himself.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth The Bear:
A) Back when I lived in and apartment in town, I rebuilt my first 1969 428 Cobra Jet in my kitchen on the floor. So whaaaaa on your apartment crap. 600 pound engine to the second floor compared to a 150 pound scooter,
Big Deal! I refitted the U.S.S. Nimitz in the towel cabinet of Casa Wheelman's Boudoir. Also rebuilt Space Shuttle Discovery in my sock drawer. So whaaa to you too!

Seriously, Dawg: Did Ms. Bear object to the Quaker State on the linoleum?
:b2t:
The stock boss does encroach a little on the splines that lie closest to the engine. However at least 50% of their length should be uncovered and able to interact with the pulley's splines. With the boss in place, the outer pulley should engage them enough to turn the engine over without any nut tension. (That's how I tell if I'm correctly engaged and ready to torque down the nut.) If it slips, the splines may be worn off or broken down. A close-up of the crank is a good idea. You can snap a phone pic through a pair of reading glasses if the focus is fuzzy.

That tip brought to you by my friend EliteDio.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
RIOT_S
BMX
BMX

Post by RIOT_S »

Guys -

Please don't hijack my posting with the banter, I am really just looking for help. Kinda bummed at the moment that I am having the two issues with my scoot so reading your fight on my post kinda frustrates me more.

I do appreciate the help your willing to give Chicago and I will grab a better pic of the drive spindle / shaft tonight and post it up.

Also, thanks for the clarification that the picture I had posted previous was for a spree Bear, that is what I was looking for but do you have any idea whats causing my other two or good place to start looking...can you spin something / crap something out in your clutch?

I'm now thinking of running down to the motorcycle junkyard where I know they have another se50 and see what its drive spindle, ramp plate, variator and etc look like, if its still all connected of course, and compare it to mine.

What I don't get is why I got the "SPIIIIIIINN" noise and now it wont go over 25mph. It may or may not be related to this spacing / kick start issue on the drive spindle / variator. All I do know is it sucks!

:)

RIOT
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Maybe you've already done this, but have a close look at the clutch too. Maybe some grease got between the pads and drum? The clutch bell fits over splines too. That's another place where munched connecting splines will result in no power transmission.

Speaking of transmissions, there are 4 gears behind that rear cover that houses the clutch shaft. Lastly, the rear wheel splines to the axle. Somewhere along this path is your issue. Hope it's a cheap one. :wink:
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Quoth The Bear:
A) Back when I lived in and apartment in town, I rebuilt my first 1969 428 Cobra Jet in my kitchen on the floor. So whaaaaa on your apartment crap. 600 pound engine to the second floor compared to a 150 pound scooter,
Big Deal! I refitted the U.S.S. Nimitz in the towel cabinet of Casa Wheelman's Boudoir. Also rebuilt Space Shuttle Discovery in my sock drawer. So whaaa to you too!

The stock boss does encroach a little on the splines that lie closest to the engine. However at least 50% of their length should be uncovered and able to interact with the pulley's splines. With the boss in place, the outer pulley should engage them enough to turn the engine over without any nut tension. (That's how I tell if I'm correctly engaged and ready to torque down the nut.) If it slips, the splines may be worn off or broken down. A close-up of the crank is a good idea. You can snap a phone pic through a pair of reading glasses if the focus is fuzzy.

Ms. Bear's only objection was it took so long to get "her" race car back on the track.

Seriously, only the Nimitz? :lol:
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
RIOT_S
BMX
BMX

Post by RIOT_S »

Bear45-70 wrote:
Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Quoth The Bear:

Ms. Bear's only objection was it took so long to get "her" race car back on the track.

Bear - *? Seriously? Many of us are not nearly as skilled as most of the old reliables on here that help us all out, this I know and I kinda thought / believed you were one of the old reliables around here that knew how to fix or at least diagnose alot of the issues with these scoots but on this post you have been less than helpful. I'm just calling it as its written. My grandpa always told me - "If you got nothing nice to say, dont say anything at all". Good words to follow by.

Help please, quit hijacking with banter, thanks.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

RIOT_S wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:Ms. Bear's only objection was it took so long to get "her" race car back on the track.

Bear - *? Seriously? Many of us are not nearly as skilled as most of the old reliables on here that help us all out, this I know and I kinda thought / believed you were one of the old reliables around here that knew how to fix or at least diagnose alot of the issues with these scoots but on this post you have been less than helpful. I'm just calling it as its written. My grandpa always told me - "If you got nothing nice to say, dont say anything at all". Good words to follow by.

Help please, quit hijacking with banter, thanks.
Your Grandpa was a PC idiot who believes in PC.

PC is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical minority and promoted by a mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
RIOT_S
BMX
BMX

Post by RIOT_S »

OK -

Spindle and splines close up:

Kick Start Picture:

I put the marker lines on the variator and pulley to see how high the belt goes, check and see if that is my 25 mph or less issue

Thoughts on the pics? Sigh....

RIOT
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Pic angle isn't ideal, but the outboard ends look like they might be
chewed off.
Measure spline length you have and hope someone can post up how long they oughta be.
Also check the splines on your outer pulley sheave.
Wheelman-111
RIOT_S
BMX
BMX

Post by RIOT_S »

I'll try and measure in a bit.

Splints on outer wheel are ok as far as I can tell. The outer wheel does go on the spindle/shaft splints and bolt+washer hold it on them. Does the rest of the spindle look ok, length ok? Is the ramp plate supposed to rest/spin against the inside of housing at the very inner part of the spindle (where it goes in to the housing)?

Thanks again!

RIOT
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

what i'm wondering, and maybe i missed it, i tend to skip over some posts...
does the electric start work?
if so, your splines are working just fine. to check you can just put the drive face gear on and try to turn it, if it doesnt slip...they're working.
the thing i'm thinking it may be is that the 7t gear that the kickstart "halfmoon" spins isnt reaching the notches on the driveface gear. and since the front face doesnt move(shouldnt) it must mean that the gear from the kickstart assembly isnt going out far enough.

again, im not an expert, im just using an educated guess for this hypothesis. good luck.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
fightingplankton
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fightingplankton »

in this picture
you can see that the face gear is sitting too far back. on mine, the gear is flush w/ the end of the splines.

in this picture
the washer should NOT be on the splines, it is supposed to stop before that and stay on the threads.

i dont know whats causing it, but my suggestion is to throw the stock variator setup in there and see how things are supposed to be and go from there.
'86 spree
'86 aero50
'83 aero80
RIOT_S
BMX
BMX

Post by RIOT_S »

Been awhile, my apologies but I have grown sour on this thing. Willing to dig in a little more. So I put it back together tonight with marker lines on the drive face and it wouldnt go over 20mph and got REALLY hot. Took it back apart and the belit did not travel over half way up its old lines (marker still there) and the ramp plate is rubbing on the drive shaft cylinder (?) I marked what is rubbing with red arrows. You can see the rubbing on the ramp plate:

I dont think it is supposed to rub like this. Now the picture of the housing or drive shaft with the red arrow has metal that has been shaved off. Thin piece but a piece none the less.

I have been thinking about how this is supposed to work and therefore why mine is not and I can not figure out how the ramp plate + weights push the belt up and therefore increasing speed. It seems to me the ramp plate would just push in to the housing or drive shaft holder where the arrow is in the second pic above. Is there supposed to be something on the drive shaft that stops the ramp plate from sliding towards the housing when the weights push out and therefore make the belt go up the drive face and whoola the scooter goes faster?

Otherwise how does the weights pushing on the ramp plate and drive face push the belt up and not just push the ramp plate back in to the housing and cause the rubbing shown above?

Something is definetly amiss, hope I havent screwed my scoot yet.

Thanks again as always!

RIOT
RIOT_S
BMX
BMX

Post by RIOT_S »

Is the ramp plate supposed to go past the point noted in the picture below with the red arrow on the drive shaft? Mine does. It is where the variator stops on the drive shaft and stops the drive boss but my ramp plate goes past here...

Just a thought

RIOT
RIOT_S
BMX
BMX

Post by RIOT_S »

Figured it out! Real real simple! Totally overlooked the simple thing AGAIN! Guesses?